2010 was actually a very good year for Succubi overall and there are quite a few events that came to pass that placed Succubi into the public consciousness. The following are the ones that the Queen of the Succubi thought were important, at least to her and what she thought of each of them…
So here, in mostly order from best thing to not so much so, are my top ten of Succubi moments for 2010…
- Lost Girl Television Series Premieres – For Canadians and for those able to see the series by alternative means, the presence of a television series, like Lost Girl, that had a Succubus as the focus was excellent news. Overall the series did well, and was renewed for a second season in 2011. The one thing that I would love to see is that Bo, the main Succubus in the series, gets a better hairstyle and wardrobe. Oh, and more focus in the series of finding out who Bo is really is than the first season had.
- Penny For Your Soul – An independent comic series that has as its main characters a devil girl, an angel, and the sides of heaven and hell coming to blows over a casino in Las Vegas, that’s the comic miniseries Penny for Your Soul. Oh, and also a Succubus that appears and takes advantage of the situation for her own goals. A really well done series with lots of horns and tails that made me happy this past year.
- The Devil Girls – The Succubi of the online comic series Sinfest had a lot of appearances this year. Most thrilling for me was the development of Fuchsia’s relationship with Crim and to a lesser extent the development of Baby Blue from just an evil Succubus to something a lot more. I see a lot of myself in Foosh, and I hope that she at some point in the coming year has the happiness she is looking for with Crim.
- Lilith The Movie – During 2010 an interesting movie was under development that promised to have the Succubus Lilith appear in it. And not just any so-so representation of her, no we have an actress that looks the part, has the presence to play the role, and, most importantly, the story to back it up. Something I am looking forwards to seeing in 2011, the movie called simply Lilith. The sooner the better.
- The Art of Bruce Colero – I’ve talked a great deal about Bruce’s work this past year on the Tale. His Succubus creations are beautiful, the love and passion he places into each piece of art is amazing, and, most of all, he loves Succubi almost as much as I do. But he is not just Succubi of course. No his art is wide ranging and to celebrate that art, he released a new book of his art which is some of his best work ever. And every now and again he sends off a little teaser of some new art he has created to me for which I will be forever grateful for his kindness to me.
- Locus the Succubus moves to a new home – I wrote a bit about an ongoing series with Succubi in it called Locus by the artist Adam Black. Recently he moved to a new site and started the third year of the series. The series still has lots of Succubi yumminess, amazing art and wonderful story lines that make following the series one of my joys whenever a new page appears. I hope that Adam has continued success with his art and that, I hope, he will continue the series for years to come.
- Succubi Book Series Explode on the Scene – This past year, several ongoing series about Succubi, like the Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead released new books, but that wasn’t all. The past year other authors brought Succubi into the book world with new series like the Jackie Brighton series by Jill Myles, the Demonica series by Larissa Ione, and the Sisters of Darkness series by Cassie Ryan all made good showings in book sales and had good reviews overall. To me, the moving away from vampires towards Succubi is nothing but a good thing that will continue in 2011 with new books in these series and others being released.
- Succubi in Video Games – During 2010, Succubi appeared in quite a number of video games over the year. Many a con had cosplayers of Morrigan Aensland, the Warcraft Succubus and many others. While it cannot be said with any certainty, there will be of course new games in 2011, and, possibly some Succubi will appear in those games as well. The one problem however is that the Succubi in some of these games seem not to be as well done as they could be. Succubi need to be more sexual beings and less the way they are now. Of course, since they are sexual beings and the authors of these games want the largest possible audience, this will never happen.
- Andie Bates of The Gates – It was good to see the attempt at bringing a Succubus into the American television schedule this year by ABC television by running the series The Gates. It’s a shame that we will never get to see all of the promise in the series, and especially what Andie could be in the series. Succubi in this series were not exactly like the ones we know and love, but, there was the possibility, given time, that her background and future could have been examined more in depth. But the ratings were low and so, of course, ABC cancelled the series quietly and we’ll never know. I do hate cliffhangers so very much.
- Succubus Figurines – There were some excellent Succubus models, figurines and dolls that appeared this past year. Reaper Miniatures released several of them, their mascot Sophie making several different appearances as well. There was also a lovely Kurumu succubus figurine from the series Rosario + Vampire, and one of a Rouage Succubus that I liked quite a lot.
Now this isn’t a complete list, not by far, but it does show that Succubi appeared in a lot of places this year and, I think, were well seen for the most part. Of course there were some things that I didn’t like, but they were small things that really I won’t rant over in this Tale post…
And speaking of the Tale and my site… A few highlights for the year that I and Succubus.net had:
- The Tale now has a total of over 300,000 views in total.
- The SuccuWiki has surpassed well over 1.5 million views.
- The Gallery of the Succubi has over 1,000 images of Succubi.
- Earlier this year, the domains Succubus.ca and Succubi.ca became part of this site.
- I submitted my first story to the EMCSA archive this past year.
- The Tale and this site had their third anniversary in November.
- The Tale is a permanent link on the Google Blog search page.
- Succubus.net ranks in the top twenty sites on Google for searches on Succubi.
Not a long list, but some good progress for 2010…
So, with that, I will wish you all a Happy 2011… May your coming year be happy and wonderful for you all…
Oh and filled with Succubi of course… Can’t forget that!
*huggles and love*