On May 4, 2016, the 3,900th article was added to the SuccuWiki!
|Series||Dungeons and Dragons|
|Setting||All editions Dungeons and Dragons|
While little physical and background information was given for her character, detailed statistics were given as well as an outline of creating a character with an Alu-Fiend background.
|“||The woman before you is perhaps the most beautiful you have ever seen. She has attractive powerful features, but her sharp up-sloping eyebrows and wings indicate her non-human origins.||”|
Tyraline's physical appearance was not revealed but it can be assumed that she has most of the general appearance of a Succubus in some way. She has at least a pair of wings and some of the physical features of a Succubus in her facial features. Her background, motives and other minutia were not detailed but her overall actions were described.
Tyraline avoids combat entirely if possible, preferring to use her detect thoughts ability to gain a greater understanding of her foes and her diplomatic skills to misdirect or circumvent them. If her foes are resistant to quick talk, she has no hesitation in employing her suggestion ability to get rid of them.
When forced into combat she prefers to hide and attack with surprise when possible. Even when forced to do so, she only fights until she finds an avenue of escape. With her change self ability she can always come back for revenge disguised as someone else later.
|Type||Succubus Alu-Fiend - Rogue 5|
|Sub-Type||Medium Outsider (augmented human, chaotic, evil, tanar'ri)|
|Senses|| Darkvision 120 ft.|
Listen +18, Spot +18
|Languages|| Abyssal, Planar Common, Elven, Dwarven|
Telepathy 100 ft.
|Armour Class|| 22|
touch 13, flat-footed 22
Trap sense +1, uncanny dodge (+3 Dex, +4 natural, +5 armor)
|hp||25 (5 HD)|
|Immune||Electricity, energy drain, poison|
|Resist||Acid 10, cold 10, fire 10, evasion|
|Abilities|| Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +3|
Trap sense +1
|Speed||30 ft. [6 squares], fly 60 ft. (average)|
|Melee|| +1 silvered longsword +4 (1d8/19-20) or|
Melee touch +3 (energy drain; provokes attacks of opportunity) or
Melee unarmed strike +3 (1d3 plus energy drain; provokes attacks of opportunity) or
Ranged shortbow +6 (1d6/x3)
|Grp Atk||+3 plus energy drain|
|Atk Options||Point Blank Shot, aligned strike (chaotic, evil), sneak attack (3d6)|
|Special Actions||Change shape, energy drain|
|Combat Gear|| Potion of cure moderate wounds, elixir of sneaking,|
dust of tracelessness, 3 daggers
|Abilities||Str 10, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 26|
|Feats||Stealthy, Skill Focus (bluff)B, Point Blank Shot|
|Skills|| Bluff +19 (+27 to distract from energy drain), Disguise +16 (+26 to appear human with wings concealed;|
+26 when using change self), Escape Artist +11, Hide +13, Listen +18, Move Silently +13,
Perform (sing) +16, Search +10, Sleight of Hand +11, Spot +18, Use Magic Device +16
|Possessions|| Combat gear plus +1 mithral shirt, +1 silvered longsword, earring of feather falling (this is a ring,|
I just like this position better, shortbow with 20 arrows
|At Will||Detect thoughts (DC 20)|
|3/day||Suggestion (DC 21)|
- Change Shape (Su): Small or medium humanoids only.
- Energy Drain (Su): Tyraline can drain energy by touching her victim as a touch attack, part of an unarmed strike, or part of a grapple; she is not proficient with such attacks and so provokes attacks of opportunity from her victim if the victim is armed. She can also drain her victim's energy if she can draw them into an intimate situation, in which case her victim must make an opposed Sense Motive versus Tyraline's Bluff check (to which she gains a racial bonus equal to her Charisma modifier) to notice the drain at all. Tyraline can bestow one negative level per round which has a save DC 20.
- Skills ss an Alu-Fiend: Tyraline has a racial bonus to Bluff checks to conceal her energy drain in intimate situations equal to her Charisma modifier. She also has a +10 racial bonus to Disguise checks to appear human with her wings covered, and a +10 bonus to Disguise checks when using her change shape ability. Additionally, she shares her succubus mother's incredible intuition, giving her a +8 racial bonus to Spot and Listen checks.
- Languages as an Alu-Fiend: Tyraline has an instinctive grasp of the Abyssal language.
Alu-Fiends are one of the rarest forms of Tanar'ri, being born of the union of a Succubus and a human male. Alu-fiends have the ability to grow and develop as their human fathers, yet have many of the abilities of their Succubi mothers. The Alu-fiend rogue presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments and Hit Dice ability score increases: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 15.
Creating An Alu-Fiend
Alu-Fiend is an inherited template that can be applied to any female human. (At the DMs option this template can be applied to other female humanoids, but this is much rarer as Succubi seem to have an easier time seducing human men). This female human is referred hereafter as the base human (for non-humans, replace all references to human with the appropriate race). The alu-fiend retains all the human's abilities and gains those listed here.
- Size and Type: The human's type changes to outsider. She retains any subtypes and gains the augmented human, chaotic, evil, and tanar'ri subtypes.
- Challenge Rating: Depends on original class levels, as follows: Class levels 1-4, class levels +1; CL 5-10, CL +2; CL 11+, CL +3.
- Alignment: Usually chaotic evil.
- Armor Class: An alu-fiend has a natural armor of +4.
- Speed: An alu-fiend has wings and gains a fly speed equal to twice her base land speed plus class bonuses, average maneuverability.
- Attacks: Alu-fiends gain no new attacks, but she gains the energy drain ability (described below) and as an outsider is proficient with all simple and marital weapons, irregardless of her class.
- Abilities: An alu-fiend's ability scores are adjusted from the base human as follows: Str +2, Dex +2, Int +4, Wis +2, Cha +10.
- Special Qualities: An alu-fiend gains the following special qualities:
- Energy Drain (Su): The alu-fiend gains an energy drain ability similar to her Succubus mother. Unlike her mother, she can deliver her energy drain with any touch, such as a touch attack in combat or part of a grapple. This is not her preferred method and therefore she is not considered armed (and thus provokes attacks of opportunity from her victim if her victim is armed) unless she takes the Improved Unarmed Strike feat. She can also include an energy drain as part of an unarmed strike (or any strike with a natural weapon she may have in her current form).
The alu-fiend's preferred method of draining a victim’s energy is through more intimate association. If an alu-fiend can trick her victim into a passionate encounter the victim has to make an opposed Sense Motive versus the alu-fiend's Bluff check to realize he has been affected at all. The alu-fiend gains a racial bonus on such Bluff checks equal to her Charisma modifier, effectively doubling her Charisma for the check.
In either case, the alu-fiend can bestow one negative level per round and has a save DC of 10 + 1/2 her class levels + Cha modifier.
- Damage Reduction (Ex): An alu-fiend with 1 through 10 class levels has damage reduction 5/cold iron. With 11 or more class levels her damage reduction increases to 10/cold iron.
- Immunities: An alu-fiend is immune to electricity, energy drain, and poison.
- Resistances: The alu-fiend has energy resistance 10 versus acid, cold, and fire.
- Spell Resistance: An alu-fiend has spell resistance 12 + class levels.
- Darkvision (Ex): The alu-fiend has darkvision 120 feet.
The alu-fiend also gains the following abilities as she gains class levels:
|1-2||change shape, telepathy|
|3-4||detect thoughts at will|
|7-8||charm monster 1/day|
|9-10||plane shift (self plus 50 lb. only) 1/day|
|11-12||greater teleport (self plus 50 lb. only) 3/day|
|13-14||charm monster 3/day, mass suggestion 1/day|
|15-16||greater teleport (self plus 50 lb. only) at will, suggestion at will|
|17-18||summon monster IX (tanar'ri only) 1/day|
|19-20||charm monster at will|
- Change Shape (Su): The alu-fiend can assume the form of small or medium humanoids. While so changed she has a +10 bonus to Disguise checks to appear as a member of the race she is impersonating.
- Telepathy (Su): As a tanar'ri, the alu-fiend has telepathy 100 feet.
- Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): An alu-fiend gains spell-like abilities as she gains class levels as inidicated in the table above. Her caster level equals her class levels and all save DCs are Charisma based.
- Skills: The alu-fiend has a +10 racial bonus to appear human as long as her wings are concealed. In addition, she shares her Succubi mother's intuitive senses, gaining a +8 racial bonus to Spot and Listen checks.
- Languages: Alu-fiends have an instinctive understanding of the Abyssal language.
- Level Adjustment: Same as base human +5.
Alu-fiends prefer to work alone, but they are frequently found amongst the groups of unknowing victims they are working upon. If part of a group, they will almost certainly have one or more people duped into being their defenders and champions. Found alone, they will play the victim, grateful to her saviors and showing some moderate skills so she can remain (at least for a little while) to help.
- Deceiver (EL 7): The players arrive in a new town to find the local constable wrapped around the little finger of his new young paramour, Tyraline. Shortly after they arrive people around town start mysteriously dying. While not directly implicated, the players are under suspicion. If the players track the deaths back to Tyraline they had best tread carefully, the constable is insanely jealous and most of the guards are her friends.
As an outsider, an alu-fiend does not need to eat, drink, or sleep, but when she does she has a decidedly carnivorous appetite. An alu-fiend also does not need to use her energy drain ability, but finds its use extremely pleasurable. Alu-fiends do not contribute to the ecology of an area except as a predator of humanoids and other higher creatures. While blending in amongst mortals an alu-fiend rarely does anything to stand out, but amongst her fiendish brethren she will almost certainly alter her environment to suit her tastes and establish her dominance.
- Environment: Alu-fiends are unique amongst fiends in that they are native to both the Abyss and the home plane of their father (usually the prime). This renders them immune to most attempts at banishment and allows them to be resurrected like any other native. In the Abyss they setup communities amongst themselves to defend their station in the ranks of the tanar'ri. A few alu-fiends live on Shendilvar and serve Malcanthet; Malconthet seems to find the service of her grandchildren acceptable, unlike so many normal tanar'ri.
- Typical Physical Characteristics: Alu-fiends are born as any other human, though the wings they are born with give them away. They learn to fly around the time they learn to walk, and though they are more resistant to damage and do not need to eat, drink, or sleep, they otherwise do not appear very remarkable as children. Upon reaching puberty an alu-fiend's other powers begin to manifest, including her telepathy and change shape abilities. Once she completes puberty (roughly age 15 to 17) she simply stops aging and becomes as immortal as her mother.
The wings of an alu-fiend vary between individuals; most appear bat-like, but a few have been known to be feathered or even insect-like. One to three pairs of wings have been observed on differing alu-fiends, some with small pairs of wings growing out of their hair instead of horns. Colors range from naturally occurring skin or feather tones to blues, reds, greens, and other shades; and even iridescent hues. There is even some belief among scholars that while all alu-fiends have wings, the shape, color, and count of her wings are under her control and the natural form of her wings is whatever she last chose.
Other than her wings an alu-fiend's actual physical characteristics are typical for a lithe young female human of her father's society, though an alu-fiend's features are always patrician with sharp up-sloping eyebrows and she carries herself with an inherent noble bearing.
- Alignment: As a native of the Abyss, an alu-fiend is normally chaotic evil. Interestingly, about 20% of alu-fiends are chaotic neutral or true neutral. This usually occurs when her succubi mother seduces a non-evil mortal and the alu-fiend retains a hint of her father's morality.
Alu-fiends tend to be hateful, even by tanar'ri standards, because of their dual nature. They view themselves as outcasts, neither human nor tanar'ri. Other tanar'ri view them the same way, as lowly and without purpose. Only the alu-fiends' power keeps them in contention as an existing tanar'ri race.
In the abyss they will generally carve out a community of just alu-fiends and succubi, violently resistant of the encroachment of other fiends. Liltu are welcomed as well, but their own nature keeps most of them away. A rare few alu-fiends undertake great rituals to advance themselves to full succubi or even lilitu; as such actions are simply another path to power, alu-fiends that take such a path are accepted as any other succubi or lilitu would.
Amongst mortals, alu-fiends know their tanar'ri nature will eventually outlast even their strongest supporters, causing them to be feared and reviled by the next generation. For this reason, alu-fiends trying to live amongst mortals will hide their nature, moving as tide and time require. All this presupposes that the alu-fiend is not there to cause trouble, feed, and flee.
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (the planes) can learn more about alu-fiends. When a character knows to ask the right questions and makes a successful skill check the following is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.
|DC 10|| Fiends can mate with almost any other creature.|
When succubi have children with mortal men, the result is an alu-fiend, the most comely of such unions.
|DC 15|| The female facing you is an alu-fiend, born from a succubi and a mortal.|
Like her mother, she exists to tempt morals from the paths of law and good.
This result reveals all outsider and tanar'ri traits.
|DC 20|| While not as tough as her succubi mother, an alu-fiend shares her ability to consume the very essence of her victims.|
Though she is resistant to magic, the alu-fiend takes full damage from cold iron weapons.
|DC 25|| Although they are true tanar'ri, alu-fiends continue to exist only because they fight constantly for their position in the abyss.|
They call home both the abyss and the home plane of their fathers, making them uniquely immune to banishment.
Even more amazing, a rare few alu-fiends are not evil or even chaotic.
Alu-fiends have treasure typical to a NPC of a level equal to their challenge rating. Approximately 75% of alu-fiends carry an additional enchanted weapon, often gifts from their evil mothers. Most such gifts are common make, but roughly 15% are special weapons (e.g. sword of life stealing, etcetera). The alu-fiend relies heavily on such a special weapon and will never willingly part from it. In addition the alu-fiend has a roughly 75% chance to have magical armor as a gift from her mother. 5% of such armor is special (e.g. plate mail of etherealness, etcetera).
- The original source of this article at Planewalker.com - No Longer Available