Thank you for over 5.1 million views of the SuccuWiki!
Succubus on Top
- Format: Paperback
- Pages: 304
- Publisher: Kensington
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0758216424
- ISBN-13: 978-0758216427
- Release Date: January 1, 2008
Other novels by Richelle Mead on SuccuWiki
- Succubus Blues
- Succubus Dreams
- Succubus Nights - This is the UK Re-release of Succubus on Top
- Succubus Heat
- Succubus Shadows
- Succubus Revealed
- Brushstrokes (2007) (novella)
- City of Demons, Eternal Lover
Georgina Kincaid's job sucks.
Love hurts, and no one knows it better than Georgina Kincaid. If she so much as kisses Seth Mortensen, the shy, sexy, incredibly gifted Seattle writer she's been dating, she'll drain his life force. Georgina is a succubus-a demon who draws her power from other men's pleasure. Admittedly, the shapeshifting and immortality perks are terrific, and yes, Georgina did choose to join the ranks of hell centuries ago. But it seems completely unfair that a she-demon whose purpose is seduction can't get hot and heavy with the one mortal who knows and accepts her for who she is. It's not just her personal life that's in chaos. Doug, Georgina's co-worker at a local bookstore, has been exhibiting bizarre behavior, and Georgina suspects that something far more demonic than double espressos is at work. She could use help finding out, but Bastien, an irresistibly charming incubus and her best immortal friend, is preoccupied with corrupting an ultra-conservative talk radio star-and giving Georgina some highly distracting come-hither vibes. Georgina is going to have to work solo on this one-and fast because soon, Doug's life won't be the only one on the line.
- Georgina Kincaid - Succubus and main character AKA- Thetis, Letha, Tabitha, Josephine
- Jerome - Local Head demon and boss of all the immortals of hell including Georgina and her friends. Father of Roman and Helena. Looks like John Cusack
- Carter - Angel Friend of Jerome, Georgina, Hugh, Peter, and Cody. Described as looking like a bum. Saved Georgina's life.
- Hugh - Imp & friend to Georgina
- Peter - Vampire, friend of Georgina and is around the same age as her.
- Cody - Young vampire, apprentice of Peter, Georgina's friend and Dance partner.
- Bastien - Incubus, long time friend of Georgina
- Sol - A god. His blood is Ambrosia. He also seeks humans to date rape.
- Seth - Human writer of Georgina's favorite series (Cady and O'Neill) and love interest.
- Erik - Human psychic, friend of Georgina. Runs a book store.
- Paige - Pregnant manager of Georgina at Emerald City Books & Cafe
- Doug - Co-Assistant manager at bookstore. Friend of Georgina and Lead singer in a band.
- Alec - Drummer in Doug's band. Human assistant to Sol.
- Maddie - Doug's sister
- Dana - Bastien's Neighbor. Radio Host and leader of CPFV.
- Bill - Dana's husband and a Senator
- Jody - Dana's neighbor and friend. She becomes Georgina's friend and the leader of the CPFV.
- Aubry - Georgina's cat
The following review can be found at the Amazon.com Book Listing in the External Links Below
- 5 of 5 stars
- Well crafted urban paranormal fantasy
- June 4, 2008
- By Steven A. Peterson
I can't believe that I am reviewing this book. I am an academic political scientist. But I find Richelle Mead's books in the Georgina Kincaid series irresistible. I read the first in the series because a couple Amazon Friends whose reviews I respect a great deal spoke well of that book. I read and enjoyed--and against all odds--reviewed that work. And when I discovered that a second book had been published, I found myself eager to read it. And, in some ways, I think that this is even better than the captivating introductory volume in this series. For those who might be interested, rest assured that one need not read the first work to enjoy this book. Now, I understand that the third in this series will be published later this year. I look forward to reading that, too. So, at the outset, anyone reading my review knows that I have come to enjoy the series and its characters a whole lot.
Characters? A demon, an angel, vampires, an imp, a god, a succubus (Georgina, the primary character), and an incubus--as well as assorted mortals. This book features two major plot lines. One, the rapid ascent of a band featuring some of Georgina's mortal friends, who are powering their way to the top with artificial means. Two, the assignment of an incubus (a male equivalent to a succubus--hey, I'm learning stuff here!), Bastien, to try to use his charms and ways to discredit Dana, a conservative, moralistic advocate. Bastien has known Georgina for centuries, so they renew their friendship (sometimes in odd ways) here.
A story line continuing from the first book is Georgina's relationship with a human, Seth. Now here is a challenge for a couple who feel warmth for one another. A succubus sucks life energy from partners when there are intimacies. So, how can Georgina and Seth develop a relationship that doesn't shorten his life? One of the charming aspects of this book is the set of workarounds that the two develop at the very end of the volume, as they try to share their developing love (seems pretty far out, given their obvious differences!).
The two plot lines--the band and Dana--are not really tied together, but who cares? Both are played out nicely, and it is intriguing to see Georgina try to "take on" a god. The plot twist with Dana? I'm stunned! For one of the few times in my life, I diagnosed a plot twist--why Bastien was not succeeding.
If you liked the first book in the series, you'll really enjoy this. If you simply enjoy this genre, I think that you will enjoy, too. The author has a nice way of creating characters and situations that seem almost believable (Weird, huh? Imps, vampires, gods, and believable??).