On July 18th, 2016, the 4,000th article was added to the SuccuWiki!
Succubus (3.5e Monster)
An Image of a Succubus by Dypsomaniart
|Alignment||Always Chaotic Evil|
|Type||Variant Outsider (3.5e Type) (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Tanar'ri)|
|Stats||Open Game License stats|
|Source books||D&D Wiki|
|First appearance||D&D Wiki - 2010|
A Succubus, in the 3.5 edition ruleset of the Dungeons and Dragons role playing game according to the Liber Demonica sourcebook, is a monster which uses sexual attraction to disarm others and, if at all possible, turn them to do her bidding through the promise of sexual favors.
|“||I doubt you will ever find anyone else who can make getting your soul sucked out of you feel so good.||”|
Succubi (and their male counterparts, the incubi) are essentially the same creature statistically. In the Abyss, physical size means little in terms of strength if it is the same amount of energy spread out over a larger form, so a male incubus does not necessarily gain any advantage over its female counterparts.
Regardless of gender, succubi and incubi serve the same purpose. As the primary servants of Malcanthet, it is their task to travel to the Material Plane and tempt mortal souls into darkness with promises of lustful favors. For this purpose, they are extremely well-endowed (if you know what I mean).
|Size/Type||Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Tanar'ri)|
|Hit Dice||7d8+7 (39 hp)|
|Speed||30 ft. (6 squares), fly 60 ft. (12 squares)|
|Armor Class||22 (+3 Dexterity, +9 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 19|
|Attack||Claw +9 melee (1d6+2)|
|Full Attack||Two claws +9 melee (1d6+2)|
|Space/Reach||5 ft./5 ft.|
|Special Attacks||Kiss of death, possession, spell-like abilities|
|Special Qualities||Aura of primal emotion (arousal), blessing of Malcanthet, darkvision 60 ft.,|
deception, immunity to fire and poison, mortal form, resistance to acid 10,
cold 10, and electricity 10, straddle, spell resistance 17, telepathy 100 ft.
|Saves||Fort +14, Ref +16, Will +15|
|Abilities||Str 14, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 26|
|Skills||Climb +15, Disable Device +12, Disguise +13, Escape Artist +11, Hide +19,|
Listen +19, Move Silently +19, Open Lock +11, Search +20, Sleight of Hand +11,
Survival +1 (+3 following tracks), Use Rope +1 (+3 with bindings)
|Feats||Combat Expertise (variant) B, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative,|
Life Drain, Power Attack B
|Organization||Solitary or harem (2-4)|
|Alignment||Always Chaotic Evil|
|Advancement||7–12 HD (Medium)|
- Statistics marked with a B are Bonus feats.
|“||The beautiful woman of your dreams transforms before your eyes, gaining a fiendish tail, bat-like wings, and a pair of ram-like horns. Her eyes glint with dark power, and as soon as you meet their gaze you once again feel enthralled and ready to give your life for her.||”|
Succubi are poor combatants by the standards of demons; their strength lies in their ability to deceive others and lull them into a false sense of security, whereupon they strike when the foe is at their weakest (or most distracted). If you've seen the movie Jennifer's Body, you have a pretty good basis for how this works.
- Aura of Primal Emotion (Ex): Succubi project an aura of arousal. The save DC for this aura is 21.
- Blessing of Malcanthet (Su): A succubus adds its Charisma modifier to all saving throws. It also has the ability to speak any language as though under the effect of a tongues spell.
Incubi refer to this ability as blessing of Graz'zt instead.
- Deception (Ex): If a succubus would be affected by anything that varies based on the alignment of those it affects, the succubus is affected in the most favourable way possible to the succubus.
Example: If subjected to a detect evil spell, a succubus who wanted to hide from a paladin would not appear evil.
- Kiss of Death (Su): The succubus’ most infamous ability is draining the life force from its victims. On a successful claw attack, the succubus inflicts one negative level on its target. The DC to remove negative levels inflicted by a succubus is 21 (Charisma-based).
Additionally, a succubus that successfully grapples an opponent may spend a full-round action to make a melee touch attack. If that attack hits, the succubus plants a kiss on the victim, inflicting one negative level per point of its CR. This effect also carries the effect of a suggestion effect inviting the victim to cease resisting and accept another kiss. The DC to resist this suggestion is 21 (Charisma-based).
- Mortal Form (Ex): A succubus may assume the form of any humanoid creature of its size or one size smaller as a move action. This otherwise operates as a polymorph self spell with an indefinite duration that is useable at-will. Regardless of the form the succubus assumes with this ability, she may return to her normal form as a swift action. Note that the succubus does not retain any of her abilities in her changed form, and even sheds her alignment (but retains her key goals and knowledge).
- Possession (Su): A succubus has the ability to possess a mortal creature. The save against this ability and all related abilities described below are Charisma-based, with a DC equal to 21. The succubus may also attempt to possess someone without losing its physical form if they are implanted with its eggs.
While in spirit form, the succubus's statistics are modified as follows: It's Armor Class changes to 21. It loses its normal base speed but gains a fly speed of 120 feet (with perfect maneuverability). The succubus loses the ability to communicate by any means short of telepathy, cannot have its mind read, and cannot interact with its surroundings in any way except by touching a potential possession victim. While the succubus also loses all the use of all normal attacks or abilities in this form, it becomes invisible (as the invisibility spell so long as it remains incorporeal in this manner.
A creature possessed by a succubus becomes more physically attractive to others, causing them to gain a +2 bonus on Charisma-based checks as people around them are subtly entranced by their magnetism. This appearance is illusory and appears differently to each subject with whom the host interacts. True seeing reveals the creature‘s actual appearance and negates the bonus.
The host to a succubus is prone to behavior befitting of the their demonic possessor, specifically feelings of lust that cause it to become attracted to members of the opposite sex. When encountering a creature of the same race with a Charisma score greater than their own, the host of the succubus must make a Will save or become affected as though charmed (as charm monster) by that creature.
A succubus that uses the Bane action upon its host causes the host’s features to become horrifically mutilated, causing a tremendous amount of both physical and mental distress. In additional to automatically failing any Charisma-based checks they attempt during each round that they are subject to this action, the host also suffers the effects of a confusion spell.
If a succubus attempts to possess a minor NPC 5th or lower level, instead of the normal possession rules, that creature becomes a possessed, with a level equal to its level. If the succubus possesses a major NPC or PC whose level or CR is less than its own (normally 7), the creature must make a Fortitude save each round or incur a number of negative levels equal to the difference in their Challenge Ratings.
- Spell-Like Abilities: At will—charm monster, daze monster (useable as a swift action, touch range only), detect thoughts, greater teleport (self plus objects carried only), suggestion, ethereal jaunt, plane shift (self only). Caster level 7th. Any save DC’s are Charisma-based and have a default DC of 21.
- Straddle (Ex): A succubus can maintain a grapple by using every available part of her body. Creatures that are immune to being grappled (such as by virtue of a freedom of movement spell) are not so immune to any grapple attempt started by the succubus. Creatures that succeed on their attempt to escape a grapple with a succubus can move and take actions against other creatures normally, but the succubus continues to share its space, and the creature may only take grapple-appropriate actions against the succubus. This form of grapple can be escaped by the use of a further attempt, although the succubus may draw the creature back into a normal grapple using the normal rules for such.