On May 4, 2016, the 3,900th article was added to the SuccuWiki!
Races With Class (Succubus)
|Source books||Necromancers Online|
|First appearance||Necromancers Online|
Races with Class: The Succubus is an article that appeared on Necromancers Online and was authored by Alex Riggs. The article showed one method that could be used to give a player character Succubus powers, abilities, and background.
Succubi (and incubi, the male equivalent) are among the most dangerous and vile breeds of demon. Not because of any of their physical features—indeed, they go far out of their way to ensure that their appearance is appealing—but because a succubus’ whole existence is to twist and corrupt mortal souls, especially those which are pure and clean, tainting them with the foul evils of the abyss and turning those souls to dark and evil ends.
Succubi are lovers, not fighters. Whenever possible, they prefer to avoid combat, instead using “diplomacy” to twist her friends and foes alike around her finger until they dance to her tune. She uses her high Charisma and Bluff skills for this, as well as her wide array of charm related magical powers. If pressed, succubi are surprisingly capable of defending themselves, as they are possessed with a natural affinity for draining the life force of others through mere touch.
- Hit Die: d10
- Starting Gold: 2d6 x 10 gp
- Class Skills: The succubus’ class skills are Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Fly (Dex), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Knowledge (the Planes) (Int), Perception (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Stealth (Dex), and Survival (Wis).
- Skill Ranks Per Level: 6 + Int Modifier.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Succubi are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, but not armor or shields of any kind.
- Change Shape (Su): Succubi can change their form to match that of any medium or small humanoid creature, the better to seduce the mortals they encounter. This ability functions as the spell alter self, and can be used at will.
- Extraplanar Origin: Succubi are not native to the material plane, hailing from a dark and corrupted plane made of pure evil and chaos. As such, succubi have the outsider type, and all the traits that type grants. Additionally, except on their home plane, succubi possess the extraplanar subtype, and all traits that type grants.
- Naturally Deceptive: Succubi are naturally suited to lying and deceit, and are uncannily good at finding “marks” to peddle their wares to. As a result, succubi gain a bonus to all Bluff and Perception checks equal to their succubus hit dice (for example, a 10th level succubus gains a +7 bonus, as she has 7 hit dice from the succubus class, while a succubus 11/sorcerer 3 gains only a +8 bonus, because only 8 of her 11 hit dice are granted by the succubus class).
- Sex Appeal: Succubi ooze charisma like virtually no other creature. As creatures who live to tempt and seduce, they have few peers where force of personality is concerned. A first level succubus begins play with a racial bonus of +2 Charisma. This bonus increases by one point of Charisma with each succubus level, until 11th level, when the succubus has a total racial bonus of +12 Charisma. After this point the rate of increase slows, and a succubus’ racial bonus to Charisma increases only every three levels (14th, 17th, and 20th).
- Truespeech (Su): In order to help them spread corruption, succubi can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level 14th). This ability is always active.
- Claws: Beginning at 2nd level, a succubus gains the ability to transform her hands into wicked claws. These claws deal 1d6 damage on a successful hit. A succubus can will her claws back into normal hands as a swift action, and return them to claws with another swift action, at will.
- Poison Resistance (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, a succubus’ innate resistance to poison kicks in. She gains a +4 bonus to all saving throws versus poisons. At 6th level, this protection increases, rendering the succubus immune to all poison effects.
- Summon (Sp): As demons, succubi possess a limited ability to call forth other demons to aid them in spreading corruption and taint. This ability is subject to the restrictions of the summon ability, including the time limit and restrictions on spell-like abilities cast by the summoned creatures (see Pathfinder Bestiary for more information). Exactly which creatures the succubus can summon and what chance she has of having them respond depends on the succubus’ level. A succubus may use this ability once per day.
|2nd Level|| Succubus can attempt to summon dretches. Her success rate is 12% per class level,|
and if successful she summons a number of dretches equal to 1d4 per 5 class levels
|6th Level|| Succubus can attempt to summon quasits. Her success rate is 10% per class level,|
and if successful she summons a number of quasits equal to 1d4 per 6 class levels
|10th Level|| Succubus can attempt to summon babau. Her success rate is 5% per class level,|
and if successful she summons a number of babau equal to 1 + 1d2 per four class levels above 10th level
|14th Level|| Succubus can attempt to summon nabasus. Her success rate is 4% per class level,|
and if successful she summons a number of nabasu equal to 1 + 1d2 per three class levels above 14th level
|18th Level|| Succubus can attempt to summon vrocks. Her success rate is 3% per class level,|
and if successful she summons a number of vrocks equal to 1d4 per 10 class levels
- Thick Skin: Beginning at 2nd level, a succubus’ skin begins to toughen: while remaining smooth and supple to the touch of a mortal, it begins to take on a hardness and durability similar to steel. At each level besides 4th, 7th, and 10th, a succubus’ natural armor improves by +1. After 11th level, the succubus’ skin stops toughening, and she ceases to gain natural armor.
- Ability Score Bonuses: Beginning at 2nd level, succubi gain a number of racial bonuses to their ability scores, as marked on Table: the Succubus. By 20th level, a succubus will have total racial bonuses equal to +2 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +8 Constitution, +8 Intelligence, and +4 Wisdom. A succubus’ bonuses to Charisma are handled separately, with the Sex Appeal ability.
- Charm Person (Sp): Beginning at 3rd level, a succubus can use charm person as a spell-like ability at will. Her caster level is equal to her class level, and the save is Charisma-based.
- Detect Good (Sp): Succubi are constantly affected as though by the spell detect good. They do not need to concentrate to benefit from its effects, but still gain the information on the round indicated in the spell description (for example, a creature with a good aura must be in the succubus’ sight for three rounds before the succubus can determine with certainty that that creature is the source of the aura). Succubi can suppress or resume this ability as a move action, but rarely find a need to.
- Sinful Heart: At 3rd level, a succubus’ chaotic and evil natures come fully into effect. She gains the chaotic and evil subtypes, and all traits granted by those subtypes, regardless of her actual alignment.
- Suggestion (Sp): Begging at 3rd level, a succubus can use suggestion as a spell-like ability at will. Her caster level is equal to her class level, and the save is Charisma-based.
- Detect Thoughts (Sp): At 4th level, a succubus gains the ability to worm her way into the minds of her victims, reading their thoughts in order to better seduce them. She can use detect thoughts as a spell-like ability at will. Her caster level is equal to her class level, and the save is Charisma-based.
- Energy Resistance (Ex): At 4th level, a succubus gains electricity resistance 5. At 8th level, this resistance increases to complete immunity to electricity. At 6th level a succubus gains fire resistance 5, and like her resistance to electricity this resistance eventually becomes immunity, though not until 10th level. Succubi also gain cold resistance 10 at 8th level, and become immune to cold at 13th level. Finally, a succubus gains acid resistance at 10th level, and is completely immune to acid at 17th level.
- Telepathy (Su): Succubi of 4th level or higher can project their thoughts directly into the mind of others, and can communicate telepathically up to 100 ft.
- Damage Reduction (Ex): At 5th level a succubus’ demonic nature suffuses her body to the extent that it protects her from many physical attacks. Succubi of 5th level or higher have damage reduction 5/cold iron or good. At 10th level this protection increases to 10/cold iron or good, and at 15th level a succubus’ protection increases even further, granting them DR 10/cold iron and good.
- Flight (Ex): At 5th level, a succubus’ wings are powerful enough to support her in flight, and she gains a fly speed of 50 feet with average maneuverability.
- Energy Drain (Su): Beginning at 6th level, a succubus can drain the life energy of victims she lures into an act of passion, such as a kiss. An unwilling victim must be grappled before the succubus can use this ability. The succubus’ kiss bestows one negative level. The DC for the Fortitude save to remove a negative level gained in this way is equal to 10 + ½ the succubus’ succubus hit die + the succubus’ Charisma modifier (for example, a 7th level succubus with a Charisma of 24 would have a DC of 19 (10 + 2 (1/2 the succubus’ 5 hit dice) + 7), while a succubus 11/sorcerer 8 with a Charisma of 30 would have a DC of 24 (10 + 4 (1/2 the number of hit dice granted by the succubus class) + 10).
This ability is optional, and a succubus can choose not to activate her energy drain ability when engaging in an act of passion, though they typically find the experience less enjoyable if they hold back in this fashion.
At 11th level, a succubus’ energy drain grows more dangerous, see Improved Energy Drain, below, for more information.
- Charm Monster (Sp): At 7th level, a succubus learns to use charm monster as a spell-like ability at will. Her caster level is equal to her class level, and the save is Charisma-based.
- Profane Gift (Su): Once per day as a full-round action, a succubus of 7th level or higher may grant a profane gift to a willing humanoid creature by touching it for 1 full round. The target gains a +2 profane bonus to any ability score of his choice. A single creature may have no more than one profane gift from a succubus at a time. As long as the gift persists, the succubus can communicate telepathically with the target across any distance (and may use her suggestion spell-like ability through it). A profane gift is removed by dispel evil or dispel chaos. The succubus can remove the profane bonus as a free action (causing 2d6 Charisma drain to the victim, no save).
- Spell Resistance (Su): Beginning at 8th level, a succubus gains a natural protection from magic. She gains SR equal to her succubus hit dice plus 10. (For example, an 8th level succubus would have SR 16, as she has 6 hit dice, while a succubus 11/sorcerer 5 would have SR 18, as only 8 of her hit dice are granted by the succubus class).
- Dominate Person (Sp): Beginning at 9th level, a succubus can cast dominate person as a spell-like ability once per day. Her caster level is equal to her class level, and the save is Charisma-based.
- Ethereal Jaunt (Sp): Beginning at 9th level, a succubus can cast ethereal jaunt as a spell-like ability at will, except that she can transport only herself and up to 50 lbs of gear. Her caster level is equal to her class level.
- Greater Teleport (Sp): Beginning at 9th level, a succubus can cast greater teleport as a spell-like ability at will, except that she can transport only herself and up to 50 lbs of gear. Her caster level is equal to her class level.
- Vampiric Touch (Sp): Beginning at 9th level, a succubus can cast vampiric touch as a spell-like ability at will. Her caster level is equal to her class level, and the save is Charisma-based.
- Improved Energy Drain (Su): At 11th level, a succubus learns to drain the energy of her victims with more subtlety, making them feel overwhelming lust instead of unbearable pain. Beginning at 11th level, a succubus’ kiss also has the effect of a suggestion spell, asking the victim to accept another act of passion from the succubus. The victim must succeed on a Will Save (DC 10 + ½ the succubus’ succubus hit dice + the succubus’ Charisma modifier) to negate the suggestion.
At 19th level, a succubus’ energy drain improves further. See Greater Energy Drain for more information.
- Succubus Ascension: Once a succubus reaches 11th level, she has unlocked enough of her inner potential to be able to pursue other interests, if she so chooses. An 11th level succubus may freely multi-class into other classes, and can return to the succubus class later without penalty. Characters with more than 11 levels in succubus represent paragons of the succubus race, who, whether through hard work or an accident of birth, possess abilities in excess of most of their kind.
- Corruption Talent: At 12th level, and every even-numbered level thereafter, a succubus gains a new corruption talent, chosen from the list below. If a corruption talent has a listed prerequisite, she must meet that prerequisite.
- Extra Profane Gifts (Su): A succubus with this corruption talent can grant her profane gift three times per day, instead of just once. This corruption talent can be taken multiple times. Each additional time it is taken it grants three additional uses of the profane gift ability.
- Grade Soul (Su): A succubus with this corruption talent improves her ability to detect alignments. In addition to having constant detect good, she also constantly benefits from the effects of detect chaos, detect evil, and detect law. Further, she can gain a rough estimate of how close a creature is to shifting alignments, allowing her to better judge how quickly the mortals she corrupts are falling towards a chaotic evil alignment.
Further still, a succubus can use this ability on any creature benefiting from her Profane Gift ability at any time, regardless of distance, so long as both she and the target are on the same plane of existence.
- Grant Wish (Sp): A succubus with this corruption talent can use wish as a spell-like ability in order to seduce mortals. The succubus herself serves only as a channel for the wish, and cannot actually use the wish herself: she merely grants others the ability to use a wish. Because the wish, once granted, is outside of the succubus’ control, most succubi are very careful about who they grant wishes to, rarely doing so until they have read the thoughts of the recipient and feel confident that the wish will be used in a way the succubus approves of (the subject chooses the nature of the wish after the succubus grants it, and once the succubus grants the wish she cannot prevent the recipient from, for example, wishing her back to the abyss).
A succubus who uses this ability immediately gains 7 negative levels, even if she would normally be immune to negative levels. These negative levels automatically go away at a rate of 1 level per day, though the succubus can remove them faster with spells like greater restoration. This is another reason most succubi are conservative with their wishes.
A succubus must be at least 17th level to gain this corruption talent.
- Greater Claim Soul (Su): A succubus with this corruption talent does not require precious gems in order to trap the souls of her victims. Whenever her claim soul ability is used, the soul is trapped within a transparent sphere roughly six inches in diameter. The sphere, along with the soul—which is visible within the sphere as a floating, nebulous cloud of color—appears in the succubus’ hand at the end of the round. If the succubus has no free hands, the sphere instead appears at her feet. These spheres have hardness 5 and 1 hit point, and have no intrinsic value other than the souls they contain. Breaking a sphere frees the soul it contains the same way that breaking a gem frees a soul affected by a normal soul bind. A succubus can only use this ability on creatures whose hit dice does not exceed her class level. If the succubus so desires, she can instead choose to have the soul trapped in a gem as normal, though she must still provide the gem in order for this to work. A succubus must have the claim soul class feature in order to take this corruption talent.
- Greater Profane Gift (Su): A succubus with this corruption talent can grant a greater bonus to the recipients of her profane gift. Instead of granting an ability score bonus, the succubus can choose to grant class levels to the affected creature. The levels are in a class of the recipient’s choice, but he must meet all requirements to take a level in that class (such as prerequisites for prestige classes or alignment restrictions for base classes, etc). The succubus cannot increase a recipient’s total class levels or hit dice beyond ½ her succubus level, and can only grant a total number of class levels equal to twice her succubus level at any one time (for example, a 15th level succubus could be granting up to 30 class levels to variety of recipients at one time, but no recipient could possess more than 7 hit dice or levels total, including levels they possessed prior to receiving the profane gift. If she wanted to grant class levels to a new recipient, she would first have to remove the same number of gifted class levels from one of her existing recipients).
If a recipient gains a level on his or her own and after doing so possesses too many hit dice for the succubus to be granting her profane gift, the recipient continues to receive the benefits of the profane gift, but the succubus cannot grant him or her any further benefits until or unless his or her number of hit dice is once again within her limits.
When a succubus revokes a greater profane gift, instead of causing 2d6 Charisma drain, she may choose to have the subject gain 1d4 negative levels for each class level she had granted, to a maximum number of negative levels equal to the creature’s hit dice -1.
- Harvest Soul (Su): A succubus with this corruption talent can choose to slay any creature benefiting from her profane gift ability. Succubi typically use this ability once they feel that a creature has been sufficiently corrupted and that his or her soul will be destined for the abyss after death. Once per day per target, she can, as a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, attempt to snuff out the life of her target. The creature must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ succubus’ succubus hit die + succubus’ Charisma modifier) or fall immediately dead. This is a death effect. If the subject survives, he or she knows that they were attacked magically in some way, but do not know automatically that the succubus was responsible, and continue to be affected by the succubus’ profane gift. This ability can be used regardless of distance, though the succubus must be on the same plane as the target.
- Locate Marked Creature (Sp): A succubus with this corruption talent can track down those benefiting from her profane gifts. Once per day per recipient, a succubus can use the spell discern location as a spell-like ability, finding the location of the recipient in question. Only recipients affected by a succubus’ Mark the Corrupted ability can be located in this fashion, and a succubus must have the Mark the Corrupted corruption talent in order to take Locate Marked Creature.
- Mark the Corrupted (Su): A succubus with this corruption talent can keep tabs on those she grants her profane gift to. As part of the process of granting the profane gift, the recipient is affected as though by the spell mark of justice. The succubus can set whatever sort of trigger condition she likes for the mark. The mark is entirely magical, and does not leave a physical mark on the subject, though a magical sigil stands out clearly to anyone viewing the subject with detect evil, detect magic, or trueseeing. Additionally, each time the mark is triggered the succubus immediately becomes aware of it, knowing exactly which recipient triggered the mark and what specific action triggered it.
- Profane Anything (Su): A succubus with this corruption talent can grant her profane gift to creatures of any type, including other outsiders. The recipient must still be willing, making it difficult to grant the profane gift to creatures with Intelligence scores of 2 or less, or to most outsiders. A succubus can never grant herself her own profane gift.
- Steal Soul (Su): A succubus with this corruption talent can rip the soul from an unwilling creature using her energy drain. Any creature slain by her energy drain ability is affected by her claim soul ability, though he or she gains a +4 bonus on their Will save to resist the effect. A succubus must have the claim soul class feature and be at least 16th level before she can take this corruption talent.
- Tempting Riches (Sp): A succubus with this corruption talent can create 1,000gp worth of riches each day, in order to tempt mortals with. These riches can be anything from gold to gems to fine silks or exotic foods. This ability functions as the spell major creation, except for the restrictions listed above, and the fact that the created items last 24 hours after creation. If a succubus so desires, she can continue to “renew” items created with this ability by expending an equal amount of wealth from her 1,000gp per day pool.
- Perfect Disguise (Su): At 12th level, a succubus is able to disguise herself mentally, as well as physically. She becomes immune to any effect which would detect her alignment, such as detect evil, as well as any effect which would read her thoughts or prevent her from lying, such as detect thoughts or zone of truth.
- Claim Soul (Su): At 13th level, a succubus becomes able to claim the souls of her victims. Any creature who dies while under the effect of her profane gift ability, or within 24 hours of benefiting from her profane gift ability, is affected as though by the soul bind spell, as long as the succubus has a gem of appropriate value in her possession. The succubus’ caster level is equal to her class level for this effect, and the save is Charisma-based.
- Planeshift (Sp): At 14th level, a succubus can use planeshift as a spell-like ability, at will, except that she can transport only herself and up to 50 lbs of gear. Her caster level is equal to her class level.
- Project Innocence (Su): Beginning at 16th level, a succubus is not only able to resist magical attempts to discern her intentions, she is able to actively fool such attempts. Succubi of this level can, when affected by a spell or ability which would determine their alignment, choose which alignment they register as. Creatures attempting to detect the succubus’ alignment in this way get a Will save (DC 10 + ½ succubus’ succubus hit dice + succubus’ Charisma modifier) to see through the illusion, though this does not reveal the succubus’ actual alignment, only that the alignment she is projecting is false.
Similarly, the succubus can choose to provide a false result to creatures which use detect thoughts or similar abilities on her, usually to trick mages into believing her sincerity. As with the false alignment, the diviner is entitled to a Will save to see through the illusory thoughts, though success does not grant access to the succubus’ actual thoughts.
- Persuasive Aura (Sp): At 17th level, a succubus’ personality is so overwhelming that she can charm creatures without even expending effort. Succubi of this level are treated as though always bearing a symbol of persuasion, causing each creature who looks at the succubus to succeed on a Will save or be charmed. The succubus’ caster level is equal to her class level, and the save DC is Charisma-based. The succubus can suppress or resume this ability as a move action, but few find any reason to do so.
- Greater Energy Drain (Su): Succubi of 19th level can drain the lifeforce of their victims at a heightened rate, inflicting 1d4 negative levels with each act of passion. Further, the succubus absorbs some of this life force herself, gaining 5 temporary hit points for each level drained. These temporary hit points fade after 1 hour.
- Create Unholy Offspring (Su): Succubi of 20th level can leave a lingering trace of corruption on a creature with only a single touch. Any creature who is subject to a 20th level succubus’ energy drain ability must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + ½ succubus’ succubus hit dice + succubus’ Charisma modifier) or suffer from the succubus’ taint.
This corruption has no immediate effect on the creature, though the true nature of the curse reveals itself if the tainted creature ever has offspring, as any creature sired by the tainted creature is twisted and corrupted in some way:
|11-40||Child is a Tiefling|
|41-70||Child has the fiendish template|
|71-90||Child has the half-fiend template|
|91-100||Child is a demon (see next table)|
| Highest HD
|1-6||Dretch or Quasit|
|7-10||Babau, Succubus, or Vrock|
|11+||Hezrou or Nalfeshnee|
As long as the child is not a demon, he or she still resembles his or her parents, though the fiendish taint may be clear even from birth. If the child is a demon, the type of demon depends on the number of hit dice of the higher-level parent. Demon children appear hideous and misshapen at birth, and grow at a rapid rate, becoming fully mature in 1d4 hours. During this time, they are notably less powerful than they are when fully matured.