On May 4, 2016, the 3,900th article was added to the SuccuWiki!
|Lost Girl Series Article|
Lost Girl Series Articles
Lost Girl Series Characters
Lost Girl Series Episodes
|Lost Girl episode|
Bo mourns at Kenzi's grave
Overall Episode 61
|Directed by||Ron Murphy|
|Written by||Emily Andras|
|Produced by||Vanessa Piazza|
|Featured Music||See Section Below|
|Cinematography by||Craig Wright|
|Editing by||Paul Day|
|Original Air Date||February 16, 2014|
|Length||60 minutes (runtime)|
Short Summary List of Lost Girl Episodes
Detailed List of Lost Girl episodes
Bo defeats Massimo, but Rainer is killed. To stop the arrival of The Priapus, Kenzi sacrifices her life to save the world and Bo's life is shattered.
SuccuWiki Rating: (3.5)
Lost Girl is a Canadian developed and produced television series which premiered in the 2010 season on the television channel Showcase.
For further on Bo, the succubus of the series, see her article in the SuccuWiki here. For the series itself, see that article here. For a general discussion of Succubi and their mythos in the series, see that article here.
Dark Horse was the thirteenth episode and season finale of the fourth season of the series, and the sixty-first overall episode of the Canadian television series Lost Girl. It was first shown on the Showcase Television Channel in Canada on February 16, 2014, at 10 PM Eastern time.
- Series: Lost Girl
- Season: 4
- Episode Number: 13 (61st Overall)
- Episode Title: Dark Horse
- Directed by: Ron Murphy
- Writing credits: Emily Andras
- Production Company: Prodigy Pictures
- Running Time: 60 Minutes (Including Commercials)
- Country of Origin: Canada
- Originally Aired on: February 16, 2014 on the Showcase Television Channel in Canada
- Number of Canadian Viewers: Not Released
- Number of American Viewers: 815,000
|Actor / Actress||Role|
|Emmanuelle Vaugier||The Morrigan|
Music in this Episode
|You||Keaton Henson||Written by Keaton Henson|
Massimo holds Lauren hostage and decides that the only way to make The Morrigan happy is to bring her Bo’s head. Massimo attacks Bo and kills Rainer in the attempt. Kenzi and Dyson find the Morrigan and she reveals that Massimo is, in fact, her son. Bo discovers that she is being transformed by her father into The Dark Queen and when she arrives at the portal where her father will appear she begins to change, but Dyson saves her. Bo asks Dyson to stop the coming armies of her father while she rescues Lauren from Massimo, Trick and Tamsin helping him to slow the tide. Bo tricks Massimo into taking the Chi from The Morrigan and then kills him, freeing Lauren. Kenzi figures out the prophecy to close the portal and to do so, she must sacrifice herself and does so. Tamsin claims Kenzi’s soul and takes it to Valhalla with Rainer’s. Afterwards, Tamsin warns Dyson not to allow Bo to find the second Hel shoe and Bo visits Kenzi’s grave and promises, somehow, to bring Kenzi back.
The episode opens with a series of flashbacks to earlier episodes which include: Hale's death at the hands of Massimo followed by his memorial service, Dyson speaking while Kenzi grieved. An image of the Origin Seed with Massimo speaking of its powers and then being seen eating the Seed. Lauren tells The Morrigan that she is 100% human, followed by Bo telling Kenzi that she is part of everyone, but Kenzi demanding that Bo unclaim her. Tamsin is then shown telling Bo that being the Queen means more than Bo knows. Bo examining the book that Lauren found with the image of Rainer as a devil is shown with Lauren telling Bo of the prophecy that either the Queen or the Warrior will die. This is followed by Lauren confronting Bo over her choosing Rainer. Finally, Bo and Rainer are shown after Rosette tricked them into releasing the seals on the prison that holds Bo's father, the marks on their chests glowing, Rosette telling of the prophecy that has just been fulfilled.
The episode begins with Bo (Anna Silk and Rainer (Kyle Schmid) walking, Rainer attempting to tell Bo that his "intentions were true" but the length of his imprisonment clouded his judgement and he did not see that Rosette had been lying to them. Bo angrily tells Rainer that she "stood in front of my friends and choose you." Rainer continues that Rosette was his "most loyal General and we loved each other" and is shocked that she was turned against him. Bo reminds Rainer that "he" made Rosette walk into a fire and die. Rainer asks who "he" is and Bo replies: "Someone that even the Blood King fears. My father manipulated all of us." Rainer then claims: "There is one advantage, one thing your father could never foresee. We share something real. Something good." As Rainer finishes speaking the mark on Bo's chest glows and she moans, then doubles over in pain. Bo asks him what is happening and Rainer replies: "Our marks?" Bo answers: "No. His mark." Rainer then tells Bo that they will fight against whatever is happening, Bo continuing to gasp in pain.
After the opening credits, we return to see Rainer laying Bo on one of the tables in the Dal Raita. Trick () enters in the next moment and demands to know what Rainer has done to Bo, adding: "I knew you were poison." Rainer angrily tells Trick: "This from the King who separated children from their families and watched as their parents were burned at the stake if they didn't choose from Light or Dark." Bo weakly tells them both to stop fighting and then tells Trick is was The Priapus. Trick is shocked to learn that Bo is aware of The Priapus and Bo continues to explain: "We ran into these warrior nuns, lots of white, even more crazy. Trick they worship a horse god, a demon, they think it's my father." Rainer adds: "We bound to break your curse. Instead we opened a gateway to Hel." Trick tells Rainer he never should have left the train, Rainer telling Trick that: "You were the one that put me there in the first place." Trick angrily reminds Rainer that he "dared to challenge the Blood Laws" but Rainer brushes that off, asking Trick when he would: "Take responsibly for the chaos you have caused?" Trick warns: "You forget who you are talking to" but Rainer tells Trick that he wasn't scared of the Blood King and he is not scared of Trick in the here and now. Bo begs the two to stop fighting as she knows her father is "close" and then Trick asks how Bo can know this, she tells him: "I can feel him! He's trying to cross the bridge. He's trying to bring her out. He needs needs her Trick." At Trick's question of who Bo means, she answers: "The Dark Queen. Me." Taking Trick's hand, Bo continues: "I've always known this. But now I need you to tell me everything you know about my blood.
Elsewhere, Massimo (Tim Rozen) is suffering the effects of consuming the Origin Seed which seems to be causing him great pain as Lauren (Zoie Palmer) watches nearby, shackled and unable to escape. Massimo seems to be deranged as he answers Lauren's comments with confused answers. When Massimo mentions the Twig of Zamora, Lauren tells him that it's power is "diminishing now that you have killed Hale, the last Zamoran heir" and then taunts: "Now your only chance of being immortal is someone writing as shitty pop song about you. About a villain that cries about his mommy. That his hair goes prematurely grey." Massimo tells Lauren: "The only thing awaiting you is this grave." He then screams in pain: "I swallowed the Origin Seed and now it's trying to devour me!" Lauren reminds him: "It took a council of six Fae to control the Una Mens power. The human brain can only take so much" but Massimo refuses to listen to Lauren's warning. He exclaims: "I am the man I am supposed to be. A man that will make my mother proud!" Lauren questions Massimo, not believing that The Morrigan would be proud of what he has done but Massimo goes over all of the things that he brought with him to her when she called and then decides that the thing that The Morrigan really wants is Bo's head and he tells Lauren that is exactly what he will get.
After a commercial break, Bo, Rainer and Trick are at the Dal Raita as Trick explains to Bo: "I swear, the identify of your father remains shrouded from me." Rainer comments: "Much like your own guilt" but Bo tells Rainer to stop as they "have no time for petty bickering." Rainer tells Bo that Trick was responsible for the deaths of thousands, Trick interjecting "many more will die if we do not close the gateway." Bo demands that Trick speak of her father and Trick reveals: "When the Blood King's daughter attacked the Dark to avenge her mother's death the King had to set an example to prove his Blood Laws were infallible. I had no choice but to hand her over to the Dark." Rainer is shocked and asks Bo:"Aife is your mother?" Bo says nothing, but Trick continues: "I prayed she would be executed. She wasn't." Bo comments: "All of those years in the black dungeons. Centuries. They used her." Trick then reveals: "Aife has my Light blood. The blood of a mage. The blood that drains blood for nourishment or self-survival. But the blood of your father, whoever he may be, allows you to draw life from many victims and more importantly to transfer that life force to someone other than yourself. You've inherited the abilities of both your mother and your father." Bo sighs: "I have hybrid blood" and Trick continues: "Blood that I fear will help your father escape." Rainer adds: "Not only can your blood lift curses but you can lead armies. Resurrect the fallen as they die on the battlefield. Free the masses!" Trick quietly interjects: "Or enslave them. If she is coursed by the wrong hand." Bo angrily tells them to "not talk about me like I am not here. Nobody is going to use me for anything. Understand?" Rainer then asks what they will do next, Bo suggesting that they go to the portal and see what is there. Trick warns Bo that her father wants her to be there so that she will help him to escape, and Bo asks where she should go instead, but before Trick can answer, Massimo appears and calls out: "Why no swing by my place? It's where I've got your blond box. Though she's more of a walking medical kit really." Bo demands to know what Massimo wants with Lauren, but he does not answer the question, only saying that "all I want is you. Dead at The Morrigan's feet."
Elsewhere, Kenzi (Ksenia Solo) is looking through The Morrigan's bedroom, looking for clues as Dyson (Kris Holden-Ried) barges in. He asks what is going on and Kenzi explains: "Her blood is everywhere. She left her cellphone behind and she was obviously looking for something in the Dark archives." Kenzi then shows Dyson a painting which has an image of Bo within it as well. Dyson asks about Lauren, but Kenzi cannot answer that question. The Morrigan (Emmanuelle Vaugier) then enters and comments: "I goosed her sweet berries. Right where you are sitting." Kenzi leaps from the bed in disgust: "Ew. Graphic and confusing." The Morrigan then complains about the temperature swinging wildly from cold to hot for her and she does not understand why. Kenzi asks: "Fae menopause?" Dyson stares at The Morrigan and whispered: "No. She's human." Kenzi looks at Dyson for a moment, then punches The Morrigan in the face, making her reel from the hit. Kenzi shakes her hand adding: "God I have been waiting three years to do that." The Morrigan asks: "What is it about all of the punching? I finally get what 'not in the face' means." Dyson demands to know how she is human, and she explains: "The good doctor and her miracle snatch. Normally I would have her incinerated, but my son took her. And I need Lauren. Alive. She's the only one that can fix... this." Kenzi asks who The Morrigan's son is, wondering if it is Vex, and when she is told it is Massimo, Kenzi moves to attack The Morrigan, but Dyson stops her. The Morrigan explains: "What can I say? Wall Street in the 80s was totally gnarly. A weak moment with a human and I'm birthing an infection who has become more dangerous than a mutating plague." Dyson insists that he locked Massimo up in Trick's dungeons, but Kenzi tells Dyson that Vex released him. Dyson demands to know where Massimo would have taken Lauren and The Morrigan tells them that Massimo goes only one place "To lick his wounds when things don't go his way. To learn to be like us." Dyson puts the puzzle together and asks what Massimo wants. The Morrigan replies: "What all the boys want darling. Me."
Back at the Dal Riata, Bo is facing off against Massimo, Rainer by her side. Bo asks Massimo if The Morrigan sent him, but he does not answer. Bo then tells Massimo that she will enjoy tearing him apart in revenge for Massimo killing Hale, but she is "busy dealing with a rising army of the dead. A real bad guy." Massimo asks: "Do you want this to get real bad? Have you ever heard of a Raijū? A thunder beast? Because I have." Massimo then creates a blast of energy which he directs towards Bo. It has little effect on her, but both Rainer and Trick are pushed to the floor by its effects. Bo then punches Massimo in the jaw, but has no effect on him. Massimo then throws Bo through a plate glass window before tossing her to the floor. He then taunts Bo before hitting her with a chair which breaks over her body. Trick realizes what is happening, exclaiming: "The Seed." Massimo then lifts Bo into the air before slamming her to the floor once more. Trick then confronts Massimo: "You stole the Seed from my vault." Massimo wildly laughs: "And I swallowed it whole. Yum. Yum." Trick calls out: "I will deal with the Druid" but Rainer holds Trick back. telling him: "No. She needs you. You owe me this at least." Massimo asks: "Who the hell are you?" Rainer takes a single swing at Massimo and missing, being driven to the floor by Massimo. Rainer looks at Trick and tells him: "Tell the Valkyrie my soul is her's again." Rainer tells Bo he's "Sorry for everything" before Massimo snaps Rainer's neck and kills him. Bo can only plead "No" before the deed is done. Massimo then screams in pain: "His foresight! It's too powerful!" and runs from the Dal Riata leaving Bo injured and Rainer dead in his wake. Bo cries in grief as Trick tells her: "He's gone."
Returning from commercial, Bo awakes to find herself at home, Tamsin (Rachel Skarsten) standing nearby. Bo asks how she got home, Tamsin explaining: "Trick's stronger than he looks. And he kind of drugged you." Bo attempts to get up, crying out in pain, while Tamsin tells her that Trick went to the Light Fae library to find a book he thinks might help. When Bo asks about Rainer, Tamsin comments: "You're pretty beat up. I figure a few broken ribs, busted collarbone." Bo mourns the loss of Hale and Rainer and how she could not save either of them. Bo also tells Tamsin that Lauren has been taken as well and that Bo feels like she has let everyone down. When Bo admits she doesn't know what to do, Tamsin replies: "Why don't you suck it up and get your shit together." Bo is confused, but Tamsin continues: "Yeah, it sucks to be the leader, it sucks to be the Queen it sucks, sucks, get over it. Oh poor me I'm the Chosen One. Why don't you act like it for once?" Bo then feeds on Tamsin, and when she is finished comments that Tamsin "tastes different... Happy." Tamsin replies: "There will be time to mourn later." Bo tells Tamsin that she is not strong enough to fight Massimo calling him invincible and that he will not die. Tamsin's answer is: "Well, we'll have fun trying to make him. Over and over again." Dyson and Kenzi then rush into the room, Dyson asking if Bo and Tamsin are alright before embracing Bo. Bo ends the embrace with Dyson and looks towards Kenzi, saying: "Hi." Kenzi whispers: "Hi." in return.
Kenzi and Tamsin are next seen on the couch together, Tamsin commenting "That was awkward" and Kenzi answering: "Yeah, well, armageddon can be just ask Ben and Liv." Kenzi then picks up a book and starts turning pages in it while Tamsin tells Kenzi that she needs to forgive Bo because "Life is too short." Kenzi replies: "Yeah. Remember my boyfriend just died thanks." Tamsin tells Kenzi that Rainer is also dead, adding: "And that means I have a soul and a second chance to deliver it where I should have in the first place. It could end my exile from Valhalla." Tamsin looks at the book Kenzi is reading, noting that it was owned by Rosette and Kenzi comments that it is written in Norwegian. She looks at a picture, commenting: "This drawing. Gates closing over flames, people cheering what is this?" Tamsin answers with a smile: "Sale at IKEA?" Kenzi then asks Tamsin to translate part of the text which she does as: "Daughter. Heart." Kenzi asks: "As in the Daughter's heart will close the portal?" Tamsin asks if it means that Bo has to "rip her heart out of her chest?" Kenzi looks shocked and asks Tamsin not to tell Bo about what they have discovered until they get Lauren first, Tamsin agreeing to Kenzi's request. Kenzi then thinks about something as Tamsin leaves before tearing the page she was looking at out of the book and hiding it away.
Dyson is with Bo in her bedroom, where she tells Dyson that Lauren comes first and when Dyson asks about Bo's father she adds: "Daddy Darko waited thirty years to show up, he can wait another hour. We get Lauren or we get dead." Dyson agrees: "Whatever it takes." Bo then she needs Dyson to do something for her, but when Dyson assumes that Bo needs to feed on him, to his surprise Bo reveals that she fed from Tamsin earlier and he looks somewhat disappointed. Bo then shows Dyson the contract she signed with Rainer to make her as Dark Fae, adding that she needs a witness. Bo then rips the contract into pieces, saying as she does: "Rainer is dead. The Una Mens are dead. Everyone is dead except for the guy that should be. And now so are my ties to the Dark." Dyson tells Bo that he doesn't think ripping up the contract will work but Bo replies: "No piece of paper is going to tell me who I am." Dyson asks if Bo is alright, which brings Bo to tell him: "Rainer was my partner. Someone that wanted to end the tyranny between Light and Dark. He was a good man Dyson who made a terrible mistake." Dyson approaches Bo, commenting that he understands why Hale was "so grounded. Because he had a purpose." Dyson then reveals to Bo: "All of my life I have been searching for a King. When what I should have been searching for is a Queen." Dyson then kneels before Bo and swears fealty to her: "My blood is yours. My soul. My body. I swear fealty to you Isabeau. Cause no matter where you come from or what made you, by your side is where I want to be. Forever." Bo is overwhelmed by Dyson's words and then the two embrace. Bo laughs: "Kinda thought we were fighting." Dyson agrees they "kind of were" and then tells Bo that he loves her. Bo replies: "And that is why I need you to serve with me, not for me." Tamsin then enters the room and tells Bo and Dyson that she and Kenzi have more information on the portal and when Bo hears its name, she tells Dyson: "And it's at the centre for crazy pony ladies. So what do you say cowboy? Shall we break some fillies?" Dyson smiles and answers: "Giddy-up" the two leaving moments after.
The scene then moves to the temple where the portal has formed. Bo and Dyson arrive, Dyson commenting: "So this is what a portal to the underworld looks like these days" and Bo answering: "Yeah. Kind of hard to miss." Looking around, Dyson adds: "Horse heads, broken bits of carousels, Daddy's got a flare for the drama." As Bo looks around she comments: "Go big or go Hel." Bo asks what Dyson thinks will come out of the portal, Dyson pausing a moment and then answering: "Shit loads of Remnants." Bo looks in the direction of the portal as three Remnants shuffle out from it. She then begins to absorb their Chi, Dyson calling out to her not to do so, but is too late to stop her. When Bo finishes feeding, she turns to look at Dyson, her eyes now glowing a bright blue. She then speaks in a transformed voice: "I am your Queen. Whether you swear it or not fool. And my true army cometh."
After another commercial break, Bo continues to speak: "I was bound by blood. Now we bathe in it. Humans. Fae. All will bow before me." Dyson calls out to Bo, asking her to "return to me" but Bo continues: "All will break beneath the power of the Per Apice" but then falters and Bo calls out to Dyson to help her. Dyson then kisses Bo and in doing so breaks the spell she was under, Bo commenting: "Oh you need some new moves." Dyson teases: "Oh really? Works every time." Bo continues: "Turning me off instead of turning me on?" Bo then turns to look at the Remnants and asks Dyson if he is "ready for a threesome." Dyson's answer is: "And you say that I need new material?"
Elsewhere, Trick is pacing in his lair, with The Morrigan nearby. She is slightly drunk and tells Trick to relax or he will: "Wear out your big boy pants." Trick comments: "You know when you smirk like that it really brings out the lines in your eyes." The Morrigan walks over to Trick and tells him: "You are as witty as you are powerful." When she asks why they have never been together, Trick replies: "You never really were my type." The Morrigan asks: "Because I'm human? A mother?" Trick sighs: "A stone cold bitch" as he walks past her. She replies: "Bitch is just a word used by men who are threatened by the chick in charge. I'm not going to apologize for being smart. Or ambitious." Trick answers: "Or trying to kill everyone that I love?" She warns Trick that if Bo's father is who they think she is, they are: "All going to be Bo-becued" and they "might as well have a little fun." Trick calmly replies: "There's got to be another way. I'll resurrect the Terra Cotta army. Dig up the Sharur." The Morrigan tells Trick there is only one way to close the gates of Hel and "it's not going to involve a mythical talking mace. Think old man. How do these things usually work?" The Morrigan then recites in French: "Souvent, une petite chose jette la plus longue ombre." which Trick translates as "Sometimes the smallest thing casts the longest shadow." As Trick moves away from The Morrigan, she asks if they are "just going to sit here and wait for enslavement? Chaos? Anarchy? Cause we're also out of booze." Trick returns with his battle staff and tells her: "Hardly." The Morrigan then asks: "Oh. What's that feeling?" Trick comments: "A sense for once that you're doing the right thing?" The Morrigan stands up and begins to adjust her dress, telling Trick that she has "a wedgie" and "being human sucks. Still, if I'm going to go out, I'm going to go out looking fabulous." Trick replies: "Trust me. You do." He then asks her if she is ready to go and she replies: "A mother's work is never done." Trick replies as they leave: "Neither is a Grandfather's."
Back at the temple, Bo and Dyson have retreated into a nearby hallway, Dyson commenting: "Well that was athletic." Bo warns Dyson that they only fought three Remnants and she asks: "How many cursed souls have died on the battlefields of history?" Dyson answers: "Millions." Bo then asks about Dyson's kiss and he asks: "Should I say sorry?" Bo answers: "For what? Saving me?" When asked if she is alright, Bi tells Dyson: "Yeah. I feel awesome." The temple then shakes as there is a loud roar which makes both stumble. Bo tells Dyson that her father is "close" and that she "feels so powerful." Dyson tells Bo that her father is channeling his energy through the portal. But can you control it?" Bo's answer is: "Well maybe it's time I got a little out of control." Dyson tells Bo: "That's good to hear because she needs you." Bo smiles and replies: "You're not going to tell me to save the world instead of the girl?" Dyson tells Bo: "You've taught me well. And she's my friend too." Bo asks Dyson to hold back the army that her father will be sending through the portal while she goes to save Lauren. She asks him to have Tamsin help to do so and when Dyson asks about Kenzi, Bo replies: "Keep her close. Keep her safe. Can you do all that?" Dyson replies with a smile: "Hold back the armies of Hel? I thought you would never ask my Queen." Dyson then leaves Bo to return to the portal and defend it against attack.
After Dyson leaves, Bo places the necklace that Lauren was intending to give her long ago on. Tamsin and Kenzi then approach her. Kenzi embraces Bo and then offers her the sword that killed Hale and tells her: "You're going to be fine." A long moment passes before Bo takes the sword from Kenzi and then Kenzi walks away, saying nothing to Bo as she does so, Tamsin following her as she leaves Bo.
Elsewhere, Lauren is still in shackles as Massimo tells her that he is The Morrigan's son and that he was "burred alive for seven days. I can handle Wanderer's gift." Lauren is shocked that Massimo has Rainer's foresight and asks what Massimo did to him. Massimo does not answer but instead screams about all of the pain he is in. He then tells Lauren that he has: "Absorbed all things Fae" and that he knows things that Lauren can only dream about. Lauren tells him: You are a psycho-loser with a brain full of shit that you don't even know how to use." Bo enters and calls out: "And it sounds like you might be allergic to Origin Seed. I got your epipen right here. What do you say Druid? A little prick to end a big prick?" Bo then asks Lauren if she is alright, Lauren telling Bo that she should not have come, but Bo's answer is: "I always do." Lauren replies: "Thank Goddess." Massimo taunts them both: "A lover's lament before you both die." Bo asks Massimo what he knows about love, but his answer is: "I know mother is obsessed with you." Bo comments: "And you are obsessed with her. No wonder you are single." Massimo claims that his mother "wants me to be the best and now I am." Massimo then tells Bo that with the power of the Una Mens he can defect the attack of any Fae and then he uses the power of a Siren to attack Bo, driving her to her knees in pain."
Elsewhere, Kenzi is looking at the page she tore from the book and says to herself: "Destiny. Booh-yah."
Returning to Bo's fight with Massimo, Lauren begs Massimo to stop attacking Bo and Bo in return tells Massimo to let Lauren go, but he answers: "I like an audience." He then taunts Bo that her dying breath will be taken while Bo watches him kill Lauren. Bo tells him: "You have a very rich fantasy life." Massimo then tells Bo that he can see the fight they will have thanks to Rainer's powers, and taunts Bo that he cannot remember Rainer's name, before crying out in pain again. Bo asks Lauren if she is alright and Lauren tells Bo that she will be free of her shackles in two minutes. Bo is surprised and Lauren explains that Kenzi's Shadow Thief training taught her a few things too, adding: "It's not all panty removal." Bo laughs: "Your foreplay was always top-notch." Massimo then interrupts and asks if Bo is ready for "round three" and Lauren tells Bo: "First things first, let's kill this mother lover." Bo stands and tells Lauren: "When in doubt, go with the classics" and attempts to take the Chi from Massimo. Bo begins to do so, but faces the same problem she had when she attacked the Una Mens in the past and cannot do so, her attack failing. Massimo again taunts: "You almost had me there. Must have something extra in the slutty tank today." Bo replies: "Yeah, it's called the coming apocalypse dick. Now would you just die like a good boy. I can get back to dealing with it." Massimo replies: "You know, your origins are fascinating Succubus. The power of the Per Apice." Bo asks what he knows and Massimo replies: "I know that being raised by humans has made you soft. I know the keeper was right to warn you of the shit that is coming your way." Bo then collapses, seeming to be weak, while Massimo continues to taunt her. The Morrigan then enters and calls to Massimo: "Is that how you felt all these years?" Bo then places a knife to The Morrigan's throat and she comments: "This is not what Trick and I discussed." Bo answers: "Collateral damage. Looks like once again only I choose who lives and who dies." Massimo becomes angry and screams in response.
Back at the temple, Dyson and Tamsin are in battle with the oncoming Remnants, Dyson commenting: "I've never seen a Valkyrie in battle before. Very impressive!" The pair continue to fight against the hordes around them and then Trick joins the battle as well who tells Dyson: "Have to stop dwelling in the past and start fixing the future." Trick asks where Kenzi is and Tamsin tells him that she is safe.
Returning to Massimo, he finishes screaming and then warns Bo to let The Morrigan go or he will kill her and put Bo's brains over Lauren's face. The Morrigan rolls her eyes, telling him that his threat was awful which seems to deflate him. Bo comments: "I bet human mommy tastes delicious." Lauren replies: "Delectable, but don't take my word for it." Bo then takes some Chi from The Morrigan, Massimo crying out for Bo not to hurt her. Bo then tells Massimo: "Oh I can taste how she really feels about you. Coward. Pathetic. Mistake." Massimo screams again and then attempts to take Bo's Chi from her, but Bo pushes The Morrigan in front of her and Massimo feeds on her instead. She then tells Massimo: "It's not just sucking Chi that makes me special It's that I learned how to stop. For ten years I went on a feeding spree and then I found my friends. You think you know love? Use it to save her. Go on. Save her. I could breath the Chi back into her but you don't have that power no matter how much you care." Massimo cannot stop and finally takes all of the Chi from The Morrigan and she falls to the ground lifeless. Massimo runs over to The Morrigan and demands that Bo "make it better" but Bo tells Massimo that she needs Chi from someone else to do so: "A life for a life. That is the Fae way." She then takes hold of Massimo and draws Chi from his body until he collapses. Bo then breathes that Chi into The Morrigan and she gasps to life once more. Bo then retrieves the sword that Kenzi gave her while Lauren reaches for one of Massimo's pockets. Massimo tells Bo that she cannot harm him as he possesses the Twig of Zamora, but Lauren holds it and then crushes into dust in her hand. Bo tells Massimo she has plans for him and he taunts Bo: "Well daddy's coming to play and you're both going to die anyway." Bo answers: "At least we'll die a family." Bo then strikes Massimo once for "laying a finger on Lauren", once "for Rainer", once "for Hale" and then she strikes Massimo with the sword through his chest "and that. Is for breaking Kenzi's heart." Massimo then falls to the floor dead and then Bo and Lauren embrace.
As Bo and Lauren embrace, the scene changes to the battle at the temple where Kenzi is shown in slow motion walking, untouched by the battle that rages around her. Dyson calls out to her and she stops to face him. Dyson asks what she is doing and she tells him: "I can't wait any longer. We're out numbered and you are injured." When Dyson tells her that they have to keep fighting, Kenzi replies: "We have to close the portal." When Dyson tells Kenzi they don't know how, she reveals: "Dyson. I get it now. I do have a part to play." Dyson does not understand what she is talking about and Trick calls out from nearby: "Destiny. It has a sick sense of fun." Kenzi tells Dyson the only way to close the portal is with "Bo's heart. And I'm it."
Another commercial break and we return to Bo and Lauren, Lauren telling Bo not to worry and asking about Rainer. Bo tells Lauren that she was wrong about him and Lauren replies: "At least I was right about you. Always have been. Since the first moment we met." Bo tells Lauren that she has always known that Lauren was "extraordinary" and then tells Lauren that "a human doctor who can turn Fae mortal? They're going to be coming for you." Lauren smiles: "Yeah? Let them try." Bo tells Lauren: "You really are Dark." Lauren corrects Bo: "I'm yours." Bo then tells Lauren they have to go, but Lauren tells Bo that she will stay with The Morrigan to watch out for her. Bo is surprised, saying: "Shit. You are serious." Lauren tells Bo: "You saw her. All vulnerable and human and you know I kind of did this to her so..." Bo shakes her head: "Craziest thing of all? I actually get it." Lauren tells Bo to leave and "destiny is calling" but Bo kisses Lauren one last time before she leaves.
Returning to the battle, Tamsin calls out to Dyson that there are too many attackers. Dyson tells Kenzi: "Bo's heart is her heart" but Kenzi brushes that off telling him: "It's never that simple with you Fae. It's always a metaphor or symbol. Dyson it's me." Dyson tells Kenzi that the portal is "concentrated energy" and asks if she knows what will happen. Kenzi tells Dyson: "Bo is the only one that can help us and she needs me to help her." Dyson refuses to allow Kenzi to sacrifice herself and offers himself instead, but Kenzi explain: "She loves you yes, loves Lauren, but you know that it's me. I'm her heart. You know that." She then tells Dyson: "Look, I have a plan. Okay? Rainer had the gift of foresight, he knew this would happen. Had to happen. Now Tamsin has his soul and will take it to Valhalla. That's where she will take me when this is all over. That's where I'll wait." Dyson does not agree to this plan but Kenzi insists: "If I can go out like this, like a warrior, in battle, maybe I'll even get to see him again. I will wait for Bo in Valhalla. You know that she'll never stop looking for me, she will never stop fighting to bring me home." Trick calls out: "Something big is coming! The Per Apice" Kenzi again tells Dyson: "This is the only way. It is the only way that Bo can save the world."
Bo is shown running towards the temple and the portal, the mark she bears upon her chest glowing more brightly than ever before and clutching at it. She then removes something from her pocket and looks at it, realizing that it is Hale's wedding ring for Kenzi and she gasps: "Oh Kenzi no" before continuing on.
Kenzi then smiles at Dyson and continues to walk among the battle in the direction of the portal in slow motion, Dyson watching as she does so. She passes Trick, who also only watches Kenzi pass by and does not stop her either. Dyson is shown calling out to Kenzi once more as Bo arrives to see Kenzi standing by the portal. Pausing at the portal, Kenzi turns to look at Bo, watching as Dyson stops Bo from running to Kenzi's side. Kenzi smiles one last time at Bo and then steps into the portal, and explosion of light and energy leaving in all directions from it which causes all of the attacking Remnants to fall to the ground, their threat ended.
Tamsin is the first to rush to Kenzi's side and when she sees that Kenzi has died begins to weep. Bo moves to try to go to Kenzi, but Dyson holds her back and says only: "Valhalla" before letting Bo go. Tamsin then stands, her wings unfurled, before kneeling again beside Kenzi, draping her wings over both of their bodies, Bo crying uncontrollably, and, a moment later, the Tamsin and Kenzi vanishing into thin air leaving Bo, Dyson and Trick to grieve.
After another commercial break, Tamsin is shown laying in front of a pair of gates, they being closed. Dyson rushes to her side and revives her. She tells Dyson that he should not be there and: "Kenzi. She's gone." When Dyson tells Tamsin that they will get Kenzi back, she warns him: "No! You can't let Bo find the second Hel shoe!" Dyson asks why and what Tamsin saw, but she does not answer. Dyson tells her that it will be alright and then helps Tamsin away from the gates which are then revealed to be hidden behind graffiti on a city wall.
Bo is then shown driving her car through a cemetery, then stopping and after picking up some flowers walking through the cemetery. As she walks, a voiceover explains that Rainer was buried at the battlefield of Ancrum Moor, Bo adding that "it seemed only right that he rest with those who fought and died for him." After Bo walks deeper into the cemetery, she continues: "There has been too much dying already. It's been hard. I've lost so much. But I have to be strong." Bo then stops at a newly placed grave marker which reads: "MacKenzie, Kenzi, Malikov. 1991-2014. Friend. Warrior. Heart." And continues: "Now, more than ever." Bo places the flowers at the foot of the marker and then removes the dark glasses she has been wearing and sets them down on the base of the marker. She places her right hand against the face of the marker and says: "I miss you. But more than that I need you. I need your courage" Bo then looks at the ring that Hale gave to Kenzi which is on a short necklace, wrapping it around her hand as she stands. Bo continues: "But i am done crying. I am done being scared. No one else will die on my watch. Whatever it takes. I will get you back."
The final scene of the episode and season is Bo standing at Kenzi's gravestone and looking determined as she warns: "They want me to be afraid? It's them who should be afraid... Of me." as the episode ends.
Questions in this Episode
- If Rosette and Rainer loved each other, what does that mean exactly? Were they a couple long ago? Where has Rosette been in all of the time that Rainer was imprisoned? Did she have contact with him?
- Assuming that Bo might be the Dark Queen of Hel, what happens if she goes there?
- Bo claimed to Trick that she "always known" that she was the Dark Queen. Since when? How is it that this particular piece of her background never came up until this particular moment?
- If Kenzi demanded that Bo unclaim her, and Kenzi didn't want anything to do with the Fae, what was she doing at The Morrigan's looking for Lauren?
- Was the power of the Twig of Zamora tied to Hale being the last heir? His father still apparently lives, which means there is one more heir alive at least. Also, Val, Hale's sister is still alive, so why is it not that the Twig would live on with her?
- With the reveal about where Bo gets her powers from, it is obvious that she isn't quite a Succubus. So what does it make her? While Succubus might be the best definition for Bo, the evidence is that she is unique and as well her mother Aife isn't quite a Succubus in total either. So, what does an actual, real Succubus Fae look like and feed?
- If Massimo had been born Fae, would that have made any difference to how The Morrigan felt towards him? Was her disgust because he was human or something else?
- How exactly did Bo know that there was a "rising army of the dead" coming? At no point in the episode to where she first confronted Massimo was that information given by anyone.
- How is it that Rainer's foresight could not help him overcome Massimo? Why didn't he team up with Trick to defeat Massimo as he did with Bo to defeat the Una Mens?
- How is it that with the power of foresight, Massimo could not see what was going to happen when he confronted Bo with Lauren and The Morrigan there?
- Can Dyson change his fealty just by saying so? Isn't there a way to do so? What happens when Trick learns that Dyson has done so?
- If Bo feeding on the Remnants made her turn into the Dark Queen, even if only temporarily so, does that have any lasting effect on her?
- According to the Showcase website, Per Apice is Bo's Father's name. The word means "dragon" and as well "The Apex." If this is correct, this still does not explain what kind of Fae he is, if any.
- It wasn't stated in the episode, but was The Morrigan becoming human all part of a plan to kill Massimo in the first place? The Morrigan seemed to have an idea what she needed to do in order to give Bo a chance to defeat him and as well, when Bo took Chi from her, she said that Trick never told her about that happening.
- How is it that Bo could not remember that trying to take the Chi from the Una Mens did not work before?
- Where does Lauren go now?
- Does Lauren remain with The Morrigan? Does she return The Morrigan to being Fae again?
- We saw in Those Who Wander than Lauren can make the process go the other way and turn Fae into humans. Assuming she can reverse this process does this mean she do it to herself and thus become Fae?
- What happens to The Morrigan now? Is she overthrown? Does she remain her in role?
- Is Kenzi in Valhalla or somewhere else?
- If she is there, is she trapped?
- Could Kenzi be in Hel? Held there by Bo's father to draw her to him?
- Is Rainer in Valhalla? Can he be freed?
- Where is Trick in the aftermath?
- Where are Dyson and Tamsin going?
- Can Bo actually return Kenzi to the living? If so, how and could she also return Hale?
- Is Kenzi actually buried in that grave or is it just a place marker?
- Is all that has happened, including Kenzi's seeming death a larger plan of Bo's father?
Answers in this Episode
- The mark that both Rainer and Bo have on their chest is that of Bo's father.
- According to Rainer, when Trick was the Blood King he: "separated children from their families and watched as they were burned at the stake if they didn't choose from Light or Dark."
- Trick learned at the beginning of this episode that Bo was aware of her father and what he might represent.
- Bo represents The Dark Queen whom her father wishes to come into full force so he can return to the Earth from Hel. It is possible that if Bo turned completely into the Dark Queen, she would then become the Queen of Hel.
- The Twig of Zamora's powers began to fade soon after Hale's death as they were tied to his life. By the end of the episode, the Twig had disintegrated into dust and was no more.
- Massimo is, according to what he told Lauren, being consumed by the Origin Seed he ate, but Lauren tells him that "the human mind can take only so much" and the power he is trying to hold is impossible to do for a human.
- Trick swears to Bo that he does not know the identity of her father at this point in the series, nor did he prior to this point.
- Trick reveals: "Aife has my Light blood. The blood of a mage. The blood that drains blood for nourishment or self-survival. But the blood of your father, whoever he may be, allows you to draw life from many victims and more importantly to transfer that life force to someone other than yourself. You've inherited the abilities of both your mother and your father."
- This means that Bo has hybrid Light/Dark blood.
- The Morrigan admitted that Massimo is, in fact, her son.
- According to The Morrigan, she gave birth to Massimo sometime in the 1980s when she was in and around Wall Street.
- The Morrigan seemed to be disgusted by Massimo's affections towards her and abandoned him, leaving him to Vex's care.
- In an attempt to be like his mother, Massimo used his connection to The Morrigan to access the Dark Fae archives to learn the magics of the Fae and how to use them.
- A Raijū or thunder beast is a legendary creature from Japanese mythology. Its body is composed of lightning and may be in the shape of a cat, fox, weasel, or wolf. The form of a white and blue wolf (or even a wolf wrapped in lightning) is also common. It may also fly about as a ball of lightning (in fact, the creature may be an attempt to explain the phenomenon of lightning). Its cry sounds like thunder. You can find out more about this legend here. What a Raijū in the Lost Girl universe is exactly is unclear.
- Rainer is killed by Massimo when he moves to protect Bo in the place of Trick who he stopped from doing so. Rainer's foresight had no effect on Massimo, but it was added to Massimo's powers after Rainer died.
- Rainer told Trick to tell Tamsin that his soul was her's again.
- When Bo tasted Tamsin's Chi she said it tasted different from when she did so before, calling it "happy."
- Kenzi finds a passage in Rosette's book which indicated that "The Daughter's heart" could close the portal.
- Tamsin having Rainer's soul to deliver to Valhalla means for her a chance for her exile from Valhalla to end.
- Bo ripped up her Dark Fae contract in front of Dyson, severing her attachment to the Dark Fae, saying that "no piece of paper is going to say who I am."
- Dyson pledged his fealty to Bo in this episode, changing it from being with Trick.
- Dyson clearly told Bo this episode that he loves her.
- When Bo used her powers to absorb the energy of the first Remnants that left the portal, she was, for a short time, transformed into the Dark Queen, but Dyson was able to turn her back again by kissing her.
- According to the Showcase site, Bo's Father is called Per Apice (dragon; trans: The Apex)
- Sharur, which means "smasher of thousands" is the weapon and mythic symbol of the god Ninurta. Sumerian mythic sources describe it as an enchanted talking mace. You can find more about this myth here.
- The Morrigan's clue to Trick was: "Souvent, une petite chose jette la plus longue ombre." which Trick translated to: "Sometimes the smallest thing casts the longest shadow."
- The portal which opened was referred to as a Sinbat.
- Massimo claimed that he was immersed in the furnace he fell into for seven days.
- Lauren picked up some of Kenzi's Shadow Thief training.
- Bo stated that she was on a "feeding spree" for ten years before she was helped by her friends to control her powers.
- Bo forced Massimo to feed on The Morrigan to weaken him and then gave The Morrigan her life back.
- Lauren took the Twig of Zamora from Massimo and crushed it into dust.
- Bo strikes Massimo once for "laying a finger on Lauren", once "for Rainer", once "for Hale" and when she strikes Massimo with the sword through his chest "and that. Is for breaking Kenzi's heart."
- Massimo dies in this episode at Bo's hand.
- At the end of the episode, Lauren was with The Morrigan looking after her as she recovered.
- Kenzi works out that the "Daughter's heart" refers to her, as Bo has always called Kenzi that.
- Kenzi notes that Bo loves Lauren and Dyson, but they are not her heart as she is.
- Kenzi also tells Dyson that: "Rainer had the gift of foresight, he knew this would happen. Had to happen. Now Tamsin has his soul and will take it to Valhalla. That's where she will take me when this is all over. That's where I'll wait."
- Trick was last seen with Bo and Dyson after Tamsin left for Valhalla with Kenzi.
- Apparently the gates to Valhalla are hidden somewhere in an alleyway covered by graffiti to camouflage them.
- Tamsin warned Dyson not to allow Bo to gain possession of the Hel shoes.
- Bo's car has the Ontario license plate BFJM603 with the provincial tagline on the plate changed to "Keep It Natural"
- Rainer is buried on the battlefield of Ancrum Moor. The actual battle was fought during the War of the Rough Wooing in 1545. The Scottish victory put a temporary end to English depredations in the Scottish border and lowlands. You can find more about this battle here.
- Kenzi's grave marker reads: "MacKenzie, Kenzi, Malikov. 1991-2014. Friend. Warrior. Heart."
- Kenzi's last name is revealed for the first time as being Malikov.
- At the end of the episode, Bo visits Kenzi's grave, leaving flowers there and promising Kenzi that she will do whatever it takes to bring her back.
- Bo proclaims: "But i am done crying. I am done being scared. No one else will die on my watch. Whatever it takes. I will get you back."
- Bo also warns that she will not be the one afraid anymore and everyone else should be.
For a more detailed list see: List of Lost Girl episodes, or click on the individual episode titles for more in depth articles.
- Shown in the end credits of the episode but did not appear in the episode proper
Episode Review on Succubus.Net
Tera, the owner of this website, posted a review of this episode on her Blog, A Succubi's Tale on February 21st, 2014. You can find that review here. She gave it 3.5 pitchforks out of 5.
- The Official site of the series Lost Girl
- Official Season Four website at Showcase.ca
- Dark Horse at the IMDb