Thank you for over 17 million views of the SuccuWiki!
A Succubus for Christmas and Other Tales of Devilish Delights
|A Succubus for Christmas and Other Tales of Devilish Delights|
A Succubus for Christmas and Other Tales of Devilish Delights Book Cover,
written by M. E. Hydra
|Author(s)||M. E. Hydra|
|Publication date||February 12, 2010|
|Followed by||A Succubus for Valentine's Day and Other Tales of Perilous Pleasures|
A Succubus for Christmas and Other Tales of Devilish Delights is an anthology work written by M. E. Hydra. Succubi appear as characters in this collection of thirteen of his works.
- Title: A Succubus for Christmas and Other Tales of Devilish Delights
- Author: M. E. Hydra
- Published By: eXcessica Publishing
- Length: 228 Pages
- Format: eBook & Paperback
- ASIN: B00486UEHG (eBook)
- ISBN: 9781609823948 (eBook)
- ISBN-10: 1450560873 (Paperback)
- ISBN-13: 978-1450560870 (Paperback)
- Publishing Date: February 12, 2010
Other Works in this Series on SuccuWiki
- A Succubus for Valentine's Day and Other Tales of Perilous Pleasures
- A Succubus for Halloween and Other Tales of Terrifying Temptresses
- Succubus Summoning 101
- A Succubus for Freedom and Other Tales of Obscene Orgies
- A Succubus for Remembrance and Other Tales of Femme Fatales
- A Succubus for Saint Patrick's Day and Other Tales of Sinister Sirens
- Sandwiched by Succubi
Beautiful, seductive, enthralling, sensual, irresistible...deadly. The succubus is an enduring icon of myth, a demon that seduces and sleeps with her prey before taking their life and soul. In this collection M. E. Hydra brings you thirteen erotically charged tales of sexy succubi and other exotic creatures. In A Succubus for Christmas a man discovers his surprise sexy gift also possesses a dark side...The Masterton Covenant asks how much would you risk for one night of perfect pleasure...Four men are taken to a very special place in Flesh Pitchers of Prague...A tough demon slayer discovers why 'Men can't fight them' in Slayer vs. Succubus...A man gets his Happy Ending in a sensual massage that touches him right to his soul...A former soldier tries to resist the wiles of an exotic alien queen in The Coils of Aenictia. Prepared to be enthralled, aroused and terrified by these and other tales of dark, seductive beauties. They'll give you pleasures beyond your wildest dreams, and terrors beyond your darkest nightmares...
The following review was originally published on Tera's Blog, A Succubi's Tale on May 4th, 2012
This work is a series of short stories by the author M.E. Hydra, and as such I will review them all in short form before I review the work in its entirety:
- A Succubus for Christmas – Steven receives a gift from two friends of his through which a Succubus is summoned to him. He discovers the pleasures of a Succubus in bed… in the shower… on the couch and so on. But the problem is what happens when the price has to be paid for what you receive? Some very hot scenes, but the climax of the story and the reveal therein was an interesting twist on things. Somewhat violent towards the end of the story, but not excessively so compared to the heat of the story.
- The Masterton Covenant – An old man tells of the story of when he summoned a Succubus and entered into a covenant with her, living to tell the tale. In truth a very interesting play on the “contractual” agreements that appear in many stories between humans and Succubi or other devilish beings. I did find that what the Succubus did to the teller of the story was very, very evil and made complete sense considering what she is, a Succubus, and what the result of having sex with one normally results in. Again, lovely hot scenes that quickly spiralled into something much darker. I thought the “voice” of the teller both in the here and now, and the past, were very well separated. I also thought that the Succubus was quite an interesting character in her own right and would like to know more about her.
- Bubble Bath – A man enters a shop and finds himself purchasing a container of bubble bath with some very unique effects. Really a very hot story for the start to the inevitable finish. A really unique means of a Succubus being summoned and one that will stay with me for a while I think. Lots of questions left at the end, but overall a nice, tightly written short Succubus story.
- Flesh Pitchers of Prague – A stag party visits Prague and gets thrown out of a club for being idiots. Seeking a quick lay, they take the advice of a cab driver and go off the beaten track to a place that promises something of a once in a lifetime experience. Probably the most horrific of all of the stores. Not really a Succubus story, and I won’t spoil it mind you, but, the squick factor is fairly high in this one. Personally my least favourite of all of the works in this collection.
- Hookah’ed – A hitman is sent into the den of a Don in order to steal some information. When he discovers that the Don has no security and seems to be surrounded by hot women, the job looks to be an easy one. It’s an interesting crime story of what it might be like if Succubi were in the mob. I didn’t think much of the way the Succubi made the hitman breathe in their aroma, but that is a minor nit really. Overall a hot story and the last few lines did make me laugh.
- Pool of the Undine – A drunken camper gets caught in the rain and takes shelter in a cave with a pool in it. And something living in the pool draws something out of him eventually as well. Not a Succubus story, not really. I have to say that I don’t like water sports and the moments of that in the story I skimmed over. I didn’t like the male character much, well really drunker Englishmen with no manner really do nothing for me in the first place, so, I just didn’t find myself really getting into this story all that much.
- Slayer vs. Succubus – The greatest of all of the Church’s demon slayers finds out that a Succubus is inhabiting a monastery. Being the greatest of them all, he confronts the Succubus. Problem is that he’s a man, she’s a Succubus, and that means some real problems. I think this is the second of my favourite works in this collection. Lots of Succubus powers, seduction and erotica in the story which I enjoyed quite a lot. I liked that the Succubus wasn’t so much evil as she was seduction incarnate, which I think Succubi should be. Lots of lovely descriptive moments and an excellent read overall.
- Arachne’s Web – A man finds a website owned by a model named Arachne and, over time, falls into her web. Not really a Succubus story though at the beginning it had all of the appearance of one. A good deal of horror in this story, the ending is very much so. Didn’t really enjoy it personally, though the writing was excellent, the characters strong, and the effects of Arachne on the main character were really well told.
- Wrapdance – Some friends visiting Moscow leave a club and search for a better one, which they find, that has erotic women dancing with a secret. Some good heat in this story, the succubi are interesting and sensual, if the reveal is a bit on the horror side and less on the erotic side.
- The Coils of Aenictia – A town is held within another dimension, under attack by horrific creatures bent on destruction. A human warrior faces them and his past. Not a Succubus story, more of a “fall into another dimension and what happens next” sort of story. For the most part it didn’t interest me, there was a lot of horror in the story overall. Again very good writing and for those that like horror, it’s well done. I did find that the being the human warrior faced was much more than she seemed to be in the beginning, but it was the struggle to resist her that I think is the core of this story and was telling about both characters.
- Squeezed – A superhero faces a new supervillainess in his small town. The problem is that she’s not like any supervillain he’s faced before. I have to say that superhero stories aren’t really my thing to be honest. The villianess isn’t a Succubus, anything else would be a spoiler so I won’t reveal that. I will say that I couldn’t help but giggle at the hero and the supervillainess’ names… Just too funny and well played I thought for the setting. A nicely done story that I did enjoy.
- Happy Ending – A man looks for a gift for his wife, and instead finds a small shop with a woman that promises a massage beyond belief. A very hot story with a Succubus tangentially connected to the story. Very hot, really did like it even though the Succubus was only fleeting in the story.
- Incall with a Succubus – A politician is told to visit a “professional relaxation therapist” by a friend. He does so and discovers that Succubi are very real… And some of them, one in particular, has a soul of her own. This was, by far, the one story in the collection that was my favourite story. Nicole holds almost all of the traits that I personally see in a Succubi, which is my concept of a, for lack of a better explanation, a Succubus with a conscience and a soul. She’s smart, she’s seductive, she knows her limits and that of those she comes in contact with as well. She gives of pleasures to receive them and in the end, proves that not all things that have horns and a tail are evil. The perfect ending to the collection and I truly enjoyed this story so very very much…
Overall the author writes stories that are exceptionally descriptive, the Succubi when that are part of the story have both their sexual and more demonic sides, but occasionally, like with Nicole in the last work, the horror is muted for the personality of the Succubus.
There is a lot of focus on the horror aspect of this author’s writings, but there is nothing wrong with that really. Each author has their particular focus on stories to tell and if they can do so well, then they should focus on that.
But here’s the thing that I think need be said. This was the first collection of Hydra’s early works and his writing style, themes, and stories do change as you move forwards through his works. Not every story is a personal hit for me, but, if you look, there is a story for everyone…
I’ll give this work four and a half out of five pitchforks.
Good stories, great characters, well written and it shows… I just wish that more Succubi were more like Nicole than what they normally are…